Mountplate for E3D

I designed a new mountplate for the K8400 to hold an E3D hotend. No loss in XY axis. I had it milled in aluminium. Works fantastic.

Nice Mod!

Very good design for a 1 head setup. I went for an ABS printed solution in the end for my E3D V6 hot ends, but if you have the ability to get a machined part in alu, then why not!

Thank you.
I did run it with a 3D printed mount for a while, but it was obviously too too flexible, which i suspect impacts print quality. A 6mm aluminium mountplate does not flex at all. I would definitely recommend going for a better material than ABS for something so important.

Are you also working on a mounting plate for two Hot ends?

Is it possible to post the CAD file from the plate?

[quote=“3Design”]Are you also working on a mounting plate for two Hot ends?

Is it possible to post the CAD file from the plate?[/quote]

I could easily make one for two hot-ends by just mirroring the side holding the E3D, but where would you put the fan for cooling the object?

Maybe with a small sheetmetal bracket at the back of the hotends

I’m not sure where you mean. If you can draw me a rough sketch perhaps i’ll understand it better :slight_smile:

How mich place do you have between the bottom of the black carriage and the nozzle?

Maybe you can put two very small fans over there

If you can give meca cad file from the mounting plate i can makecsome design for you

Interesting mod. But I think it’s only possible for one printhead because with two, you actually will loose x-axis distance. On this height of the E3D, with use of the E3D fanduct and without loss of X-axis, the Y-rod will touch the fanduct. Even when filing the rod into the heatsink (Logmett’s printhead), the fanduct isn’t usable.
But if you can loose some buildsize, it’s a nice and clean mod.

@3Design
I think the nozzle point is about 13 mm from the bottom of the carriage.

[quote=“3Design”]How mich place do you have between the bottom of the black carriage and the nozzle?

Maybe you can put two very small fans over there

If you can give meca cad file from the mounting plate i can makecsome design for you[/quote]

From the tip of the nozzle to the center-carriage there is 13.5 mm (11mm radius of E3D + 2.5 mm spacing). This place is hot though, i don’t think a fan will last very long there.

It might be possible to add a fan on the bottom of the center carriage, there is 13mm from the bottom to the nozzletip (not counting the m3 nuts), perhaps a thin fan could fit there - that would offer very good direct print cooling.

I’ll put CAD files on my website this week.

[quote=“svdv”]Interesting mod. But I think it’s only possible for one printhead because with two, you actually will loose x-axis distance. On this height of the E3D, with use of the E3D fanduct and without loss of X-axis, the Y-rod will touch the fanduct. Even when filing the rod into the heatsink (Logmett’s printhead), the fanduct isn’t usable.
But if you can loose some buildsize, it’s a nice and clean mod.
[/quote]

Yes you are right that you will loose 5mm in the x axis if using this setup with two nozzles.
I’m not sure what you are saying about the fan duct, but it works very well on this setup, and it should work just as well with the two nozzles. It’s not touching the rods.

It would be nice if you could give us a drawing with exact measurements :slight_smile: You loose 5 mm by moving the E3D to the right because otherwise the heatsink touches the Y-axis, OK. But I think the fanduct with fan is touching the belts on the right side and/or the frontside? So I think you loose some there?
And with two printheads in this way, the nozzles will have an X Offset about 31 mm.

Sorry, I am a bit critical… because there is much written about the E3D, see other post. And I think that most users have two printheads and don’t want to loose buildsize.

[quote=“svdv”]It would be nice if you could give us a drawing with exact measurements :slight_smile: You loose 5 mm by moving the E3D to the right because otherwise the heatsink touches the Y-axis, OK. But I think the fanduct with fan is touching the belts on the right side and/or the frontside? So I think you loose some there?
And with two printheads in this way, the nozzles will have an X Offset about 31 mm.

Sorry, I am a bit critical… because there is much written about the E3D, see other post. And I think that most users have two printheads and don’t want to loose buildsize.[/quote]

The heatsink is not touching any of the rods.
You loose 5mm beacuse the fan-duct touches the belts, but with my design, the right hotend is actualy outside the buildplate when XY is home, you only loose 5mm on one side. It does not touch belt on the front either.

Have already posted the cad file?

Me and some others would appreciate that :slight_smile:

what website is that you have? I’m also interested in the plans :slight_smile: