MK3 + insulator + glas plate too thick

Hello,

i installed an MK3 bed to my K8400.
Under the MK3, i have the insulator.
Now, i want to install a glas plate over the MK3.

My problem is, that i already adjusted the 3 screws under the MK3 (to adjust the print platform to the min. and also adjusted the “Z”-calibration on the back to the max, bus i still need about 1mm, the glas plate is 3mm thick.

Do you have any other idea?

Also, how did you fix these 3 elements? Without the glasplate, the bed clips where ok.

Thanks

Hi,

I don’t use the glass plate so I can use the original clips to hold the bed in place (I put them in the center of each side though). Unfortunately the print won’t stick on the bare alu plate and you’ll need to use a sticking medium (blue painter tape or PVA glue works well for PLA - for ABS, use a 3D spray : Dimafix or 3DLac). I’ve also replaced one of the adjustment knobs with spring : the adjustment of the bed height is far easier.

Hi ‘d1nd141’,

you can change the self-locking-nuts wich are mounted under the aluminum-plate to standard ones, so you save a bit more than 1 mm in height.

One idea to attach your glas plate: use neodym-magnets (such as 10 x 4x 2mm, very strong and very cheap at banggood for example)

i use a MK2 heatbed (because it was clear for me that i do not want to print to aluminum). i glued 4 magnets to each corner of the aluminum-plate and 4 magnets under each corner of the glass-plate. between that i have my MK2 and the cork-insulation (the insulation is cut out a little bit at the corners and the MK2 is less wide). Glue is 2K-resin type wich stands 140 °C

Now i work with 2 glas-plates i can simply change: one is standard glossy, the other is etched with acid (very good adhesion)

actually, I removed the alu frame from the original plate.
Glued the screws to the heat bed and added some springs for easier adjustment.
Due to the springs, you can remove the upper adjustment screws, so only the lower ones remain.

In addition, I use the original glass plate.

So removing the original alu frame, is exactly the space of the heat bed.

Works fine for me the last few months.

More details how I made it… viewtopic.php?f=64&t=16147

I did it the same way as Frank, some new screws, some glue under the bed, and everything is working fine.
THANKS!