MK198 LED Buddy -- So disappointed

Yes, disappointed…

I just received it, thought there would be at least a schematic and a user manual (who are not available as downloads), but … no ! Just nothing except assembly instructions.

Furthermore, I suspect the kit will not be able to generate the promised 30 V to test the forward voltage of higher voltage LED’s, because I don’t see any component that could be involved into a step-up converter…

I guess I will have to assemble it to find it out… or to be disappointed again !

Could you at least publish the schematics on the website, as for the other kits ?

Assembled and tested.
It works, of course, but as suspected this tool cannot test LED’s up to 30 V as announced.

The 30V that are refered to is the voltage you can select to calculate the needed series resistor…

Obviously, there is a bit of mis-communication on this one !

At least, if the schematics was published on the website, I would not have lost my money and my time with this.

I can see that the display has a backlight. How can this be turned on ?

I have developed a schematic for the LED Buddy

. I hope this helps you (or even someone else…).

As to the backlight, its really simple. Make a connection between the “K” terminal and the GND pin (Pin 1) and also between the “A” terminal and the VDD pin (Pin 2). See the photo attached… the red wire on the LCD board is used to make these connections. The solder “stripes” are numbered 1 through 16 and correspond to the pins in the LCD board header. The wire used is 30-gauge wire-wrap wire. Any fine wire will work. You may want to adhere the wires to the board with some hot glue when finished with the connections.

Note that the wire ends are simply tinned and then laid onto the solder stripes, then heated to secure them there.

Good luck!

Thanks for that work ! :+1:

Is there a limiting resistor already present on the display module for the backlight ?

It’s all set to go. Connect it as explained and shown in the photos and you’ll be rewarded with a nice pale red backlight. No need to add anything else….

-Chris

A pale red backlight means the backlight is drawing to much current.
It should be yellow/green backlight.

Also here is the official schematic for the MK198

Thanks VEL337. I suggest that this schematics be published in the download section of the product page. So that people understand the real funciton and limitations of the LED Buddy.

For the backlight, considering there’s only one LED, and to not stress the 78L05 too much, I’ll put a resistance of 220 ohm. The current in the LED should be about 10 - 12 mA (Interesting trick : use the LED Buddy to measure and suggest the resistance by measuring its own backlight LED :crazy_face: )

About the schematics, what is the purpose of JP1 ?

haha nice one!
JP1 is the contacts where you place the LED
And i will pass it along about the schematic on the download section
Have a nice weekend
VEL337

Oh yes, of course !:roll_eyes:
I thought the pads were the LED_H and LED_L connections…

Doh !

thanks! Sorry, it’s Friday for everyone… :woozy_face:

Interesting… My backlight is running 0.0093 A (9.3 mA) to give me the pale red color. A 180-ohm limiting resistor puts the backlight out completely. I think that I will experiment some more…

-Chris

Chris is right: The backlight is orange/red (nice and warm color).
As I explained earlier, i used the LED buddy to measure the LEDs of its backlight by connecting the probes directly to the pins of the backlight LED’s.

I got a VF varying between 4.0 and 4.2 V. Probably 2 LED’s in series. The LED Buddy suggested me a 100 ohm resistor (closest value) to get a VF of approx 10 mA.

So, I soldered the resistor on the pads for R7, and also put a solder blob on the J2 jumper.

And here is the result

Hope this helps

Ok you’re right :slight_smile:
My memory let me down.
Still it’s a good practice to put a serie resistor before the leds :slight_smile:
Also the schematic should be now available for download.

It is indeed available as download. Thanks for that.