MK 160 - GSM control - temperature

I am using a Mk160 kit to fire up the diesel heater in my car (system works great by the way). However the last weeks of cold weather (-15C) seems to have made the kit retire until better weather occurs. This is causing problems for me since now is when I really need the diesel heater! :laughing:

I just read in this forum that the PIC controller only works to 0 degC, but that an industrial type PIC exists that copes down to -40degC. In that post (from 2006) Velleman R&D offered to program the circuit if the author of that thread sent it to the Velleman plant.

Is that offer still valid? I would very much appreciate a working kit at the moment, and the cold part of the winter is not over for at least another five months…

In case this would be possible, any tips on where to accuire an industrial type PIC 12C508?

Thanks for your reply

If you can source an industrial identical part, we can program it for you.

That is the answer I was hoping for, thanks. I will get the industrial IC as soon as I can.

Regards

I found this address on the Velleman webpage:

Legen Heirweg 33
B-9890 GAVERE
Belgium (Europe)

Is this the address to send the IC ?

Thanks

Björn

Yes.
Make sure you include a copy of this conversation, otherwise we cannot guarantee that your PIC will reach the correct dept.

Ok, thanks.
Would it help if I also addressed the letter to a department or person at your company?

Yes, you can address it to Mr. Pascal De Petter.

I sent the PIC:s to Velleman about two weeks ago. Can you confirm that it has arrived, please?

i have the same problem, have you solve your problem?

You can follow the above procedure.
Please make sure to include a copy of this conversation.

Can I use PIC12F508, or do I need to use exactly PIC12C508A ?

PIC12F508

Program Memory Type: Flash
Program Memory (KB): 0.75
CPU Speed (MIPS): 1
RAM Bytes: 25
Timers: 1 x 8-bit
Ethernet: None
Temperature Range ©: -40 to 125
Operating Voltage Range (V): 2 to 5.5
Pin Count: 8
XLP: No
Cap Touch Channels 0

The flash type is OK.

Hello,
I have the same problem with my MK160.
Can I send 3 processors to you for reprogramming them?
How much is the price?

Yes, you can send 3 controllers, but please include a detailed description so that our engineers know the reason why you’ve returned 3 controllers and please provide proof of purchase of the 3 MK160 units. As a courtesy, we’ll program them for free.

Dear support team,

I use the MK160 also for my car heating and have some malefunctions below 0 degree Celsius.
I have sourced the industry version of the PIC 12C508A by myselve.
I could program the new PIC by myselve if you could provide me the HEX file.
Other possibility would be, that I send you the PIC and you do the programming.

Thank you for your support
Best regards,
Robert

Sorry, for copyright reasons we never supply .hex files.
Please return the PIC for reprogramming.