"Layer effect" on my 3D-printed

Hi everyone,
I recently built a K8400 (my first 3D printer !). I already started to print some objects. The overall look is OK but I have a minor issue. All my results have what I call a “layer effect”. Here are 2 examples :

Not for each filament layer, but with a close look to the objects, it is not very smooth.

Any ideas ? I already checked that my X/Y axis calibration was OK. Maybe an issue with the Z axis ?

Hmm its kinda hard to see from the pictures, but it could be a little z-wobble, if you look on thingiverse there is a z-axis stabilizer that makes the
z-axis a lot more quit and also it made my outer walls much better.

also what number do you user for the layers ? because i started with the layers 0.1 or 0.2 but it should be 0.0975 and 0.1950 because the layer height should be a mutipicator of the steps the z-motor makes. after changing that i had a lot less problems with clogged nozzles and layers in my prints.

and at last at what do you have your extrusion multiplier becauese with the stock vertex firmware i remember that the steppings are not completly correct so that it extrudes too much, currently im printing at 0.7 multiplier and thats a lot better, maybe you can try that first, because it could be that youre just extruding to much plastic.

best regards

markus

ps: for your first prints that looks really nice

[quote=“MavRaven”]if you look on thingiverse there is a z-axis stabilizer[/quote]Yes, I’ve seen it. Definitely, one of the next parts to print.

[quote=“MavRaven”]also what number do you user for the layers ? because i started with the layers 0.1 or 0.2 but it should be 0.0975 and 0.1950[/quote]Where can I change this parameter in the repetier-host ?

[quote=“MavRaven”]and at last at what do you have your extrusion multiplier becauese with the stock vertex firmware i remember that the steppings are not completly correct so that it extrudes too much, currently im printing at 0.7 multiplier and thats a lot better, maybe you can try that first, because it could be that youre just extruding to much plastic. [/quote]Same thing for this. Should I have a look at the Arduino code ?

Regards,
Pascal.

[quote]
also what number do you user for the layers ? because i started with the layers 0.1 or 0.2 but it should be 0.0975 and 0.1950 because the layer height should be a mutipicator of the steps the z-motor makes. after changing that i had a lot less problems with clogged nozzles and layers in my prints. [/quote]

Hi MavRaven,
Could you please describe how to calculate the right layer height?

@ Pascal_r2
In the Slicer Configuration > under the ‘Speed and Quality’ tab

svdv, layer height calculation using the prusa calculator was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13267&start=15.

Thanks Danf, I missed that, it was before my ‘Vertex’ time :slight_smile:

[quote=“Pascal_r2”][quote=“MavRaven”]if you look on thingiverse there is a z-axis stabilizer[/quote]Yes, I’ve seen it. Definitely, one of the next parts to print.

[quote=“MavRaven”]also what number do you user for the layers ? because i started with the layers 0.1 or 0.2 but it should be 0.0975 and 0.1950[/quote]Where can I change this parameter in the repetier-host ?

[quote=“MavRaven”]and at last at what do you have your extrusion multiplier becauese with the stock vertex firmware i remember that the steppings are not completly correct so that it extrudes too much, currently im printing at 0.7 multiplier and thats a lot better, maybe you can try that first, because it could be that youre just extruding to much plastic. [/quote]Same thing for this. Should I have a look at the Arduino code ?

Regards,
Pascal.[/quote]

Hi Sorry didnt see your message, i dont really know how its calculated anymore, basicly you need to use the steps of the motor and then multiply them until you reach the appropriate layer height.

For me that is:

0.1 = 0.0975
0.2 = 0.1950
0.3 = 0.2925

For how to set this in Slicer i cant really help you because i have been using simplify3d for the last 1 1/2 years so i dont really know how to do this in slicer anymore :slight_smile: but i would be happy to help in symplify3d :slight_smile:

Same thing for the extrusion multiplier i have only started changing it after i switched to simplify3d maybe someone else can help you were to set this :slight_smile:

[quote=“Pascal_r2”][quote=“MavRaven”]if you look on thingiverse there is a z-axis stabilizer[/quote]Yes, I’ve seen it. Definitely, one of the next parts to print.

Regards,
Pascal.[/quote]

Hi Sorry didnt see your message, i dont really know how its calculated anymore, basicly you need to use the steps of the motor and then multiply them until you reach the appropriate layer height.

For me that is:

0.1 = 0.0975
0.2 = 0.1950
0.3 = 0.2925

For how to set this in Slicer i cant really help you because i have been using simplify3d for the last 1 1/2 years so i dont really know how to do this in slicer anymore :slight_smile: but i would be happy to help in symplify3d :slight_smile:

Same thing for the extrusion multiplier i have only started changing it after i switched to simplify3d maybe someone else can help you were to set this :slight_smile: