K8800 shifts horizontally while printing

I only started using the Vertex Delta K8800 a few weeks ago and after printing a few small parts I tried a larger part, a 120mm x 100mm x 10mm frame with holes and slots.
The result was really disappointing and the part unusable. It looks as if the printer shifted the successive slices horizontally while printing resulting in a distorted part.

The attached pictures shows the 3D design, the Cura slicing and the printing result.

Any idea what could have caused the distortion during printing?

Thanks for any help and advice.


I had the same thing a while ago. for me it was a belt that jumped a tooth. I was able to solve it by rubbing the rods with wd40.

Thanks for the tip. I suspected something like that. I checked the tension of each belt, lubricated the sliders and the magnets and re-calibrated the printer. After that the part was printed correctly.

I wouldn’t use WD40, this is great oil but can be bit to aggressive.
For the rods use thin machine oil (should be delivered with the delta … if it isn’t just look for oil that is used on sewing machines. Same stuff.

For the magnetic balls and cups I use PTFE oil, as stated in the manual.

another tip: do not use to much oil on the rods… I found out that if you do, the copper sliders stick to much. So 1 or 2 drops. (I do one drop and after some prints a second. After a while I decrease the rods en oil them again. and again and again … :slight_smile:

I agree with you Vincent, WD40 is not really the right choice for lubricating the sliders and rods. It’s a lubricant but it contains also anti-corrosion agents. Here’s a short description of WD40 found on the net:

While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

I use the lubricants listed in the manual (Griffon Unilube for the sliders and Griffon PTFE oil for the magnets)