K8800 controller board

A few days ago something blew up on the controller board of my Vertex Delta K8800.
After calibration I started filament loading, a few seconds later I heard a kind of bang, the display went black and the heater got very hot in a matter of seconds as if it was continuously powered.
I shut it down, disassembled the bottom and took out the controller board.
Fuse is still OK and no sign of a burnt component.
Troubleshooting without the board’s schematic is really impossible.
Does anyone here can help me with the schematic or a link to where I can find it?
A big thank in advance!
Regards,
Robert

Hello @Robert_B

Here you can find the Circuit diagrams for K8800 Delta printer: on manual page: 3. Schematics

http://www.vellemanprojects.eu/downloads/files/vertex-delta/schematics/K8800-schematic-V1.4.pdf

Best Regards,
Velleman Support

Hallo,

Sorry but that link does not work.
When I click on it, it takes me to a different URL : https://www.velleman.eu/ownbrands/view/?id=980
I could not find a manual for the Vertex Delta K8800 printer on that site.
I searched under support and could find some information but no manual.
Can you check if the manual with the schematic is still available and if so send me a new link?
Thanks for your assistance.
Best regards,
Robert

Hi @Robert_B

Look here :

When mine blow up, i got another main board from Velleman
Kind regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,
That link doesn’t work anymore.
I got the same link from Velleman but when I click on it it takes me to a site where I can’t find the schematic.
See also my reply to the answer from Velleman support.
I hope they will be able to help me in another way, I’m waiting for their reply to the message I sent yesterday.
Anyway, thanks for your assistance.
Kind regards,
Robert

Hi @Robert_B

You may download it from my server,

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,
Robert

Hi Tom,

I found the cause of the problem.
The DC/DC converter MUN12AD03-SM blew up and that’s about the only component I can’t replace myself assuming I can find it in an online electronics retail shop.
Any suggestions for sourcing the Cyntec MUN12AD03-SM DC/DC converter?

It’s my mistake, I plugged in the wrong power supply from a small CNC machine standing next to the printer and operating at 24VDC instead of 15VDC.

Thanks again for the schematic, I wouldn’t have found the defect without it.

Kind regards,
Robert

Hi @Robert_B
This should be this won!
15V 6 Amp
Think you can try a ticket on the Velleman site or get won from Ali or make it yourself.

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi robert,
this won:

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Your reply crossed my correction to my previous mail. It’s my fault.
The 2 PWRS are lying next to each other and have the same DC plug. I plugged in the wrong one.

Kind regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

good luck with the replacement from the MUN12AD03-SM!!!
Here from you.

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

You’re right, replacing this tiny SMD part with 20 very small pads on the bottom of the base is impossible with hobby tools. Even if it was possible, I can’t find the part anywhere except maybe in China.
I tried Mouser, Digikey, Reichelt, and a few others without success.

I am now looking if it’s possible to implement another DC/DC converter but it doesn’t look obvious.
I would need the PCB layout to figure it out.

Kind regards,
Robert

Hi @Robert_B

I think you better ask Velleman a replacement board, if you are lucky they still got them at the moment.

I got mine in a week!

Kind regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I followed your advice and I was lucky.
They had only 1 board left and they were so kind to send it to me free of charge!
I received it yesterday and re-assembled the printer and it’s working fine :+1::blush:

I really appreciate their service!

Kind regards,
Bob

Hi @Robert_B ,

Good to hear you were lucky!!!
And yes, nice from them, but bad that they stop with the 3D printers and parts for them.

Kind regards,
Tom