K8400 Z axis

Hi,

I bought the K8400 for 2 days ago with extra head so I could be able to print with 2 heads. I assembled the K8400 and I was very very careful about the board and the connections. After the turning on the printer, everything seemed okay and I activated AutoHome funktion. The head traveled to read right and stopped there. BUT Z-axis didn’t move at all. I thought maybe it is a defect motor or resistens to Z axis is too much, and it can not move. I removed the coupler and tried again. It didn’t help. I changed the stepper motor from extractor 2 with this and it didn’t help either. I checked all the connection on the board and went through every connection. No mistakes and everything is seemed okay. I hope somebody can help me. It would save my hours I spent.

With regards
Ziglu5

Make sure the driver card is plugged in with the correct position.
If it is try swapping it with the X or Y Axis (this will narrow it down to the board or the driver)

Hi Wrong Way

I have swapped driver card from Z axis with X axis. Now I can manually move Z Axis but X axis doesn’t move. I have checked all the board and every driver board is positioned the right way (except 2. extractor for 2. nozzle that is positioned the other way around on the board). What does that mean? That means that a driver board is defect? :frowning: I have not testet anything else but in the display I could also move Extractor 1 and that doesn’t move the motor either. Here is the summary of what I can not figure out.

1. Z -axis problem. Now that I have changed X axis board with Z axis, Z axis move and X Axis does not. What should I do?
  2. On the menu on display, I can move Extractor 1 but I can not see Extractor 2. I can not move Extractor 1 either.

Thank you Wrong Way for helping me through this.

From your description the driver card is defective.
You can open a trouble ticket in this link.
http://support.velleman.eu/

You can not move the extruders until the print head reaches 170C or above.

It’s strange that you can not see the 2nd extruder.
Can you post a picture of the LCD on a picture website and put the link up here?

You may also want to upgrade the firmware instructions can be found here.
http://manuals.velleman.eu/article.php?id=31

When you update the firmware use Arduino software 1.0.6 or lower you can download it from here.
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftwareReleases#previous

Hi Wrong Way

Thank you for explaining about 170C for Extruder to work.

dropbox.com/sh/3h20yn2qm19e … tNqCa?dl=0

I uploadet 3 pictures.

1. Display
  2. The menu where I only can see Extruder 1
  3. And the K8400 inside.

I have actually downloaded the newest firmware but after these problems, I thought that maybe, it is because of that and downgraded that again. If you recommend the newest firmware, I will do so after I post this.
I open a ticket. Thank you again.

Looking at the first picture the second extruder is installed.
It is the top 2 temps.
On the second line where it gives you a symbol 0/0 this is the bed temp.
The K8400 does not come with a heated bed so you can ignore that.
Since you have a defective driver card you can swap the defective driver card to the second extruder.
This way you can calibrate the printer and start printing unfortunately on one head until you get a replacement.
Remember the driver for the second extruder is mounted 180 degrees from the others.

Thank you Wrong Way.

I opened a ticket for driver board. I swapped Extractor 2 driver board to the other side as you suggested.

Now I have adjustment problems. :slight_smile: I did post another thread and hoping somebody can answer that.

Sincerely.

I just replied to that one.

Hope it helps.