K8203 upgrade problems

Hello,

I purchased the K8203 0.35mm direct drive upgrade (September 2017) and am having problems. My set-up notes are listed below. Can anyone or any of the Velleman technical staff help as I would like to get this working.

Firstly, I suspect the new firmware is not taking effect.
Secondly, the new stepper driver board is perhaps not working.

Have assembled the head and it is in position on the K8200.

Firstly:
Uploading the firmware.
I’m using a Windows 10 PC with arduino V1.0.5-r2.
The Velleman firmware_k8200_v2.2-marlinv1 has been selected for the K8203 only upgrade and extracted.
With the correct board selected, COM3 port selected and JPROG pins connected, Marlin.ino compiles OK and uploads to the board. The leds flash as data is received.

DO NOT FORGET TO RELOAD EEPROM SETTINGS:
I close the arduino program and open K8200 Repetier-Host V0.95F and follow the instructions to reload EEPROM settings.
I choose Config → Firmware EEPROM Configuration → Restore factory settings.

Anyway, I took a screenshot of my orignal firmware settings before uploading anything

and then one afterwards

I can see that the extruder “steps per mm” value has changed from 600.00mm to 150.00mm and the three PID values have also changed.

Below is the (new!) firmware title I get in the Repetier log:-

19:23:32.043 : FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:http://www.k8200.com/ PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:K8200 EXTRUDER_COUNT:1

Is this any help in identifying the newly installed firmware?

Compensation for the new thermistor characteristic should be included in the firmware upgrade to display the sensor reading at a room temperature value on the temperature trace screen.
However, on the temperature screen I see the new thermistor (at actual room temperature) showing around 220 degrees C - way above 190C for PLA. And even without firmware compensation, the temperature trace should remain relatively level but I’ve observed sometimes it is steady and other times hugely erratic, once reaching MAXTEMP cutoff even though the heating element is NOT turned on.

(Question:- what make/type thermistor is supplied with the K8203 kit?
The new K8203 thermistor measures 118kohms at 17 deg C.
The old K8200 NTC thermistor measures 146kohms at 17 deg C.)

Secondly:
At this artificially high temperature of 220 degrees C, the extruder motor “advance” and “retract” should be controllable manually. So I try these buttons, without PLA filament inserted, to see if the new stepper driver board functions correctly. The log shows the commands being accepted but there is only a tiny click at the motor and another tiny click as I choose the “Turn motor off” button. There is no spindle motion from the extruder motor. I have set the board voltage to 0.9V and it is inserted the correct way around.

If I revert back to the original stepper driver board, the extruder motor works as it should (allowed by the artificially high thermistor reading).

Note:
LD5 red and LD6 green flash together briefly once every 2 seconds.

Many thanks in advance.

HLH

I’ve followed the section Vellman projects “2. Upgrading the firmware” and am still nowhere near getting firmware v2.2 installed.

Have now tried Arduino v1.0.6 as compiler and uploaded the marlin.ino code to the printer board.
(Printer with power on, USB lead attached, COM3 port selected, JPROG pins braced, lights on control board flash as data is transferred.)

Have not had to uncomment any lines in the marlin.ino configuration.h section.
See screenshot snippet.

Now what do I do?
Repetier-Host V0.95F has four buttons shown below:

“Reload Config”, “Restore factory settings”, “Save to EEPROM”, “Cancel”.

So I use “Reload Config” and then “Save to EEPROM” to save the new code settings.
Or if I wanted to revert back to firmware v1 I would use “Restore factory settings” and then “Save to EEPROM”.
Is that correct?

Some forum members have mentioned using M502 and M500 as g-code in the “Manual Control” tab. I’ve tried these too and I’m still at firmware v1.
What am I missing or doing wrong?
Can someone please help?

HLH

Asked this simple question in my initial post, can Vellman answer it?
(Question:- what make/type thermistor is supplied with the K8203 kit?).

OK. So I was expecting the “Marlin firmware v2.2” to be presented in the Repetier log window when I connect the printer. This was not to be.

The “version” can be changed (it’s only a text change under one of the Marlin tabs). I’ve done this, reflashed the board and now “Marlin firmware v2.2” shows up when I connect.

After this first incursion into Arduino programming I realise there are many more “corrections” to be made before I can get k8203 working successfully…

HLH