K8203 stepper driver voltage

Hey Guys,

Does anyone happen to know the voltage range for the stepper driver that comes with the direct drive extruder?
Thanks

I too would like to know this. In the instructions it gets you to adjust the voltage for testing, but I can’t find anywhere that gives the settings for working and my extruder head can’t push the filament through with the testing settings.

Tempted to try adjusting it upwards until it works, but I’m concerned about burning out the driver.

I found this in another thread:

[quote]The best adjustment for all of the Steppers is 0.55
If you go over 0.6 the drivers will over heat.[/quote]

Cheers Grist - i’ve read that too, but is that for the original stepper drivers? does that also apply to the k8203?
i’ve got mine currently set at 0.55 and small prints are fine. Larger prints tend to come out like rigid sponge.

Whatever voltage it came with when it was shipped out was perfect, but i cant find that voltage anywhere.
by perfect i mean the prints large or small were fine but the extruder would ‘clunk’ (i figured it was the motor being overpowered)
If anyone has a K8203 could they please see what voltage they have it set to?

0.55 is great for the original drivers.
However I think for the K8203 it is 0.9

Just checked mine it is set to 0.557 v
No issues with extruding.

[color=#FF0000]so check the dvr8825 driver sheet and the nema17 model current rating and the driver (the “weakest” link of the 2) is able to take
1.5A current which is 0.75v on the testpin without good cooling
and max 2.2A which is 1.1v with good cooling meaning a good heatsink and fan combo [/color]

Thanks guys - @wrongway it’s definitely not that high, there is a post i read saying that 0.8 was a good voltage if you have dual k8203 extruders

0.557 looks like it’s printing perfect - the extruder is ‘clunking’ only on the first few layers as expected since the nozzle is close to the glass printbed
i’ll have a go testing a larger print and post some results here.

Thanks for the info RetroDD

I had similar problems trying to run the 8203 and 4. Eventually changed Extruder and X and Y to DRV 8825. Voltages extruder 0.92, X & Y 0.55 all with heatsinks and cooling fan. Have to double steps on X and Y.

Lots of info on this topic in K8203 Extruder feed erratic (June 2016) Plots my learning curve

Hi Fafnir, yes i’d read that thread too, but wasnt game to start making more modifications until i found the root of the problem - which looks to be a partially blocked nozzle.
i pulled the PEEK and nozzle off the assembly, heated nozzle and poked some fine gauge wire through then soaked in sodium hydroxide for a couple of hours before heating and poking again
re-assembled and prints are perfect again (for the time being)

edit: i’ve also added a small heatsink to the stepper driver for extrusions to no noticeable difference

The easiest way to check for a partially blocked nozzle is to check diameter of freely extruded filament. It should be about 0.36mm.

Hi Fafnir,

i didnt want to correct your post without first buying a digital caliper to accurately determine my extruded filament - which is at 0.35
The blockage doesn’t happen at the nozzle, but just before it (between the PEEK and the nozzle)

i noticed i can get small jobs out but not big jobs - in my case this may be due to the cooling fan pointing too high and cooling the nozzle after a certain amount of time or 1st layer settings too close to the bed - this may cause filament farther up the nozzle to ‘swell’ and now your printer is trying to force a swollen segment through the nozzle entry. this is also too large to retract back out the PEEK tubing.

In the instructions it gets you to adjust the voltage for testing, but I can’t find anywhere that gives the settings for working and my extruder head can’t push the filament through with the testing settings. 3d printing delhi

The details will be printed somewhere on the motor itself. I got the detail from the bottom of the right hand side of the motor. It will be better to ask the help of manufacturer itself rather than trying it yourself. cable providers