K8203 and v1.5.5

I have Repetier v1.5.5 running and things seem to run ok with the basic K8200. I just completed the K8203 upgrade, uploaded the new firmware but can’t get the new “Slic3r_175_pla_config” file to load. The instructions seem clear that it only works on the older versions of the software but . . . .

Has anyone had any experience with this? Do I have to downgrade to the earlier version?

Any help would be appreciated.

TAS99

The newer repetier versions come with a more recent slic3r version, where the updated the settings file format.
The settings files of the older slic3r aren’t directly compatible though.

You can enter the settings manually into trhe newer version.
But with the newer Repetier i would suggest you to try the cura engine for slicing.
It’s way faster and is easier to use, due to its simpler settings.

I now use slic3r only for really tricky prints, that need a lot of tweaking in the settings.
In that case slic3r simply offers extremely precise control.

Thanks for the information but it leaves me with a couple of questions.

1 - Can I have both an earlier version (0.84) and the newer version (1.5.6) on the same PC so I can run either?
2 - I have another PC with v0.84 running and when I try to configure Slic3r with the “Slic3r_175_pla_config” I get the following error; Unreadable configuration file (invalid data at line 3). The following are the first few lines of that configuration file;

generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on Tue Dec 23 19:35:56 2014

[filament:175PLA cool 190-50]
bed_temperature = 50
bridge_fan_speed = 100
cooling = 1
disable_fan_first_layers = 2
extrusion_multiplier = 0.92
fan_always_on = 0
fan_below_layer_time = 40
filament_diameter = 1.75
first_layer_bed_temperature = 50
first_layer_temperature = 190

Is v0.84 compatible with the K8203?

Any help would be appreciated.

tas

Well, in practice there is no need to stick with an older Repetier Host / slic3r / curaengine bundle.
The recent 1.5.6 works fine and comes with slic3r, curaengine and optionally (free download) skeinforge.

The only thing you have to do (once) is manually type the slic3r config to the newer version.
Just make some screenshots of the old settings and type them over after reinstalling the latest repetier.

I would like to use the latest version (1.5.6) but making screen shots and manually entering the data - while a good idea - isn’t possible because I can’t load the load “Slic3r_175_pla_config” into the old configuration. I keep getting the error ; Unreadable configuration file (invalid data at line 3).

That was in my earlier post. Any idea what to do about that so I can get it loaded, get the screen shots and use the data on the latest version?

Ah, i was mislead. i thought you wanted to load it in the recent version.

Sounds like your config file is damaged then. Try redownloading it.

Another option can be to open the settings file in a text editor and type the settingsinto the recent version from there.
Most value names are quite self explanatory.

There’s still a problem.

• Loaded Repetier Host v0.95 on different Windows 7 PC. Loaded and ran OK.
  • Loaded Slic3r configuration file “k8200_pla_standard”. Loaded and saved each element with no problem.
  • Downloaded “Slic3r_175_pla_config” (3rd or 4th time)
  • Tried to load configuration “Slic3r_175_pla_config” and got same error; 12:19:27.996 : Unreadable configuration file (invalid data at line 3).

There has to be something wrong with the data in that file. All the downloads are new. I know how to load and configure - the “k8200_pla_standard” worked just fine. I see no difference in the last file download versus the first. First lines of latest download are as follows;

generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on Tue Dec 23 19:35:56 2014

[filament:175PLA cool 190-50]
bed_temperature = 50
bridge_fan_speed = 100
cooling = 1
disable_fan_first_layers = 2
extrusion_multiplier = 0.92
fan_always_on = 0
fan_below_layer_time = 40
filament_diameter = 1.75
first_layer_bed_temperature = 50
first_layer_temperature = 190
max_fan_speed = 100
min_fan_speed = 50
min_print_speed = 10
slowdown_below_layer_time = 10
temperature = 190

Adding the data manually is not a good option as the value names are not as self explanatory for someone not that familiar with the software.

HELP!!!

Just for curiosity, where did you get that failing file from?
Can it be it is for the mor recent slic3r Versions?
Maybe post a link, and i’ll give it a go here.

Though, i can’t really see any error in your listing.

I downloaded the file from the Vellemannsite.

k8200.eu/support/downloads/

The file is “K8203-PLA-STANDARD.INI” in the K8203 section.

I downloaded the file and successfully imported it with Repetier 1.5.6

Just go to slic3r settings and load it as config bundle.

That seemed to do it.

I guess one has to know when to disregard the instructions. Or, Velleman needs to do a better job keeping them current.

The website clearly states; " . . . . Consult the K8200 manual on how to use this file. This file is only compatible with Repetier 0.90 and Slic3r 0.9.10b"

The suggestion that I use v1.5.6 is not consistent with the website nor is the comment about consulting the K8200 manual. That manual makes no mention of loading the file as a configuration bundle; whatever that is as opposed to the instructions to simply load the configuration.

I’m pleased with the support through the forum but less so with Velleman’s seemingly disregard for updated documentation.

Seconded and thirded dammit. Why does the manual clearly state that you should not use newer versions, then crash all over the place with the uploaded configs. The versions Velleman wants us to use isn’t even supported any more, they are practically impossible to get. They have added a new clean repetier-velleman installation which it says nothing about in the manual. Could anyone who knows what they are talking about just upload their config file for k8203 on the current updated version of repetier/slic3r please?

bump