K8200 won't properly move on x and y axis in manual control

Hello!
I just finished my K8200 3D printer that took me around 3 weeks to build. I was very careful when building and following the instructions properly.

Now that it’s finished I am on the second page of “Using the Printer” i.e. 002 - Connecting the printer.

I am stuck on the manual control section. It says that I have to make sure to trim the motor drivers to 0.425V, after I bought a multimeter and ceramic screwdriver I made sure that all drivers were in fact set to this. The motors will however not properly move the bed, it usually jutters or does nothing at all. Sometimes it moves just fine, and I’ve tried multiple different voltages 0,1-0,4V on all drivers.

It seems that the Z Motor does not function properly on 0.425V, it works much better on 0.233V, thus I have set it to this. The X and Y axis however are having trouble moving, if I try to move it when they’re on the movement is extremely stiff, when they’re off however the movement is extremely smooth due to the lubrication I used.

I seriously doubt that the driver is broken considering my care unless it was broken out of the box, and the soldering/wiring is perfect. I’ve also made sure that there is no heavy friction or parts that the moving parts can get stuck on. They do however still seem to get stuck.
Sometimes it moves fairly smooth, but then the X axis in particular can move back and forth even though I give it the same directional command. I have no idea what to do now, messing with different Voltages did not seem to help the X and Y axis. Any Ideas? You are the experts after all.

Update: I have recently checked the X and Y axis motor wires and they are indeed all correctly wired.

Set the stepper drivers to 0.55V.
That turned out to be the sweet spot on this machine.
The manual suggested 0.425V are a bit low.

If the motors still stutter or move incorrectly after that, recheck your wiring.
Could be there is a bad solder joint or faulty ribbon cable giving you temporary contact dropouts.

cheers,

Christian

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Set the stepper drivers to 0.55V.

If the motors still stutter or move incorrectly after that, recheck your wiring.
Could be there is a bad solder joint or faulty ribbon cable giving you temporary contact dropouts.

cheers,

Christian[/quote]

I have tried raising the voltage, but none of the joints go over 0,416V. Why is that?

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Set the stepper drivers to 0.55V.

cheers,

Christian[/quote]

When I keep screwing above 0,416 the multimeter simply says 0,000V. That is until I screw it back to 0,416.

Strange.
Can you check your +15V input for bad solder joint or loose screws?
Normally the drivers will be able to go way above 0.55V.

To find out, if it’s one of the drivers, remove all but one.
Then tune that to 0.55V. If it works, reinsert the next.
If not, replace it with another one and retry.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Strange.
Can you check your +15V input for bad solder joint or loose screws?
Normally the drivers will be able to go way above 0.55V.

To find out, if it’s one of the drivers, remove all but one.
Then tune that to 0.55V. If it works, reinsert the next.
If not, replace it with another one and retry.[/quote]

To clarify, I should not have the AC adapter plugged in whilst measuring this but the USB should be plugged in in? Sinve if nothings connected there is no electricity?

No, the printer must be fully powered.
So the power supply must be connected.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]No, the printer must be fully powered.
So the power supply must be connected.[/quote]

Ahh I see, maybe that is the problem then :slight_smile:
It said in the instructions that the printer should not be powered whilst checking the voltages, just thought that eas legit I guess.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]No, the printer must be fully powered.
So the power supply must be connected.[/quote]

You do mean whilst meassuring voltages I presume?

Yes, exactly.
Turn the printer on (connect +15V and USB) and then set the driver voltages to 0.55v.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Yes, exactly.
Turn the printer on (connect +15V and USB) and then set the driver voltages to 0.55v.[/quote]

Cool! I’ll try that after work then, I’ll keep ya updated :slight_smile:

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Yes, exactly.
Turn the printer on (connect +15V and USB) and then set the driver voltages to 0.55v.[/quote]

Nope, the driver must be broken, no matter what voltage I set it to it either does not move or simply moves very oddly. The wires are however properly solded and connected, I double checked.

Make sure the screw driver you are using fits in the pot.
I have tried very small and bigger screw drivers and they did not work.
Watch the brim to make sure you are turning it

[quote=“Wrong Way”]Make sure the screw driver you are using fits in the pot.
I have tried very small and bigger screw drivers and they did not work.
Watch the brim to make sure you are turning it[/quote]

It does work to alter voltages, I get other voltages and have even tried turning whilst meassuring.

Try swaping the driver to another axis.
(swap the stepper modules not the motor connections)

If the problem moves with the swapped driver, then it’s time for a new one.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Try swaping the driver to another axis.
(swap the stepper modules not the motor connections)

If the problem moves with the swapped driver, then it’s time for a new one.[/quote]

Hi everyone, it turned out it was indeed a faulty driver. Now that I got a new one it works just fine :slight_smile:

Nice to hear you have it running.
Happy printing!