K8200 Stock Cannot print w/o popping off heated bed / glass

Hi,

I am new to the whole forum thing in General. I had a question, posted it under someone else’s reply in a forum that I assumed people saw but don’t know the concept. Sorry for being a pain!!!

8200 Built
Bed Calibrated / leveled pretty well w/glass on top
Bunch of smaller successful prints like 1" x .75" base size

Started solely with Simplify3D, the results were not good. It didn’t do anything to prime like I see in Repetier-Host V0.84
I immediately went and installed everything as instructed to take some variables out of troubleshooting!

So here I am with this scenario:

1. Tried to print a larger maybe 3" x 5" and found it lost contact with the bed (w/glass on top) and that was a mess

2. I tried same file but small like 1.5 x 1 or something like that - I was able to get a complete print, not happy with the quality, but it worked.

3. So I tried to print again but only around business card size. I hand primed with the gear, cleaned the glass as usual and increased the skirt layers & size since it seems to have trouble really priming. I also ran with headed bed @ 60c vs 50c. 5MM or less total thickness it popped off - warped this time.
    Photos:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/msefyzxa3dou2ca/060315%20Starting%20few%20layers.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4849t3tfwispzp0/060315%20warped%20view%20on%20glass%20bed.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1neqi4awf9as84/060315%203mm%20in%20warped%20and%20messed%20up.jpg?dl=0

Only mods are my z axis adjustment and all else “stock”

Your help with this is greatly appreciated!
I want to learn the concept here so I can help others as well of course along the way!

Thank you!

It doesn’t stick : try printing on blue painter tape.
Use a fan-duct as with the stock system the head and the bed are too much cooled and it doesn’t help getting your print sticking.
Put some thermal compound between bed and glass otherwise you’ll have air between them and the heat transmission won’t be optimal.

Yo get your bed sticking better you can also coat the glass with diluted PVA glue or with a glue stick (for PLA) or PVC glue (for ABS).

You should use Repetier 0.95F
You can download it here.
http://www.k8200.eu/downloads/files/downloads/setup_repetierhost_k8200_0_95f.zip
use hair spray on the glass.
I warm the bed to 50C for the first layer then 70C for all other layers.
I also make sure the room is warm.

1 Like

[quote=“raby”]It doesn’t stick : try printing on blue painter tape.
Use a fan-duct as with the stock system the head and the bed are too much cooled and it doesn’t help getting your print sticking.
Put some thermal compound between bed and glass otherwise you’ll have air between them and the heat transmission won’t be optimal.

Yo get your bed sticking better you can also coat the glass with diluted PVA glue or with a glue stick (for PLA) or PVC glue (for ABS).[/quote]

Cool - I can see your point with the air between the bed and glass. I’ll start w/the blue painters tape which I have and make a fan shroud right away.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and experience!

[quote=“Wrong Way”]You should use Repetier 0.95F
You can download it here.
http://www.k8200.eu/downloads/files/downloads/setup_repetierhost_k8200_0_95f.zip
use hair spray on the glass.
I warm the bed to 50C for the first layer then 70C for all other layers.
I also make sure the room is warm.[/quote]

Cool - I wanted to use a newer ver of Repetier but didn’t want too many variables in the beginning. I’ll test out what you recommend as well. I’ve never tried the hairspray thing, but haven’t seen anyone really say not for any reason.

Thanks for your help and can’t wait to try the newer Repetier!

I have been using hair spray for some time now and it works very well.
However it the room is cold it will cause the project to separate from the glass.

I think if the PLA cools to quick it shrinks very fast and pulls on the lower layers.
I don’t know this for sure just my theory.

[quote=“Wrong Way”]I have been using hair spray for some time now and it works very well.
However it the room is cold it will cause the project to separate from the glass.

I think if the PLA cools to quick it shrinks very fast and pulls on the lower layers.
I don’t know this for sure just my theory.[/quote]

If the prolem was that it cooled to quick, would it not be pointless to have fan there?

And to reply to this thread, I had som success with the blue tape, but when trying larger prints, the blue tape itself would stick to the glass. The print sticked to the blue tape, but the blue tape came off the glass and I got bad warping. I have not tried hairspray but I have had good results with a glue stick (PLA) and I use brim for larger parts, 4mm brim was the trick I used to get the print to really stick.

[quote=“kjriisne”][quote=“Wrong Way”]I have been using hair spray for some time now and it works very well.

I don’t know this for sure just my theory.[/quote]

If the prolem was that it cooled to quick, would it not be pointless to have fan there?

And to reply to this thread, I had som success with the blue tape, but when trying larger prints, the blue tape itself would stick to the glass. The print sticked to the blue tape, but the blue tape came off the glass and I got bad warping. I have not tried hairspray but I have had good results with a glue stick (PLA) and I use brim for larger parts, 4mm brim was the trick I used to get the print to really stick.[/quote]

Hi,
I’m getting really decent adhesion, printed some nice fan duct and other parts. All have same issue, it’s putting down the first couple layers which are flat and it “plows” thru the plastic making grooves which stick up. You can see in this photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfgvgp9vpkgd63d/060515%20plowing%20thru%20initial%20layers.jpg?dl=0

I’m amazed at the quality of this print: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cskhz3p1c7r77q8/060515%20caused%20by%20x%20or%20y%20jump%20while%20ploying%20thru.jpg?dl=0
But it did the same thing in the beginning and caused an x or y jump while putting down the 1st few layers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8268rduxgs91zwl/060515%20caused%20by%20x%20or%20y%20jump%20while%20ploying%20thru%20bottom%20view.jpg?dl=0

I did set my initial layer height to tiny bit less, seemed to help a little but still doing that. I always get nice and primed, z homed in every print, so I’m thinking since all of the top layers “look good” it must be something to set in the initial layers???
Thanks again for the help

Looks like you are maybe extruding a bit too much, try lowering the extrusion multiplier a little. Extruding too much will be mostly visible on the first layer(s) because the layer height is lower here.

That’s what I was thinking but didn’t want to start changing multiple variables @ once. I’ll try that out. Thank you very much!

I have a print going with the multiplier changed from
1.10 to

It still didn’t print flat 1st few layers and jumped as prior.

Would you suggest still reducing the extrusion multiplier at this point or are there other ideas?

I am no expert on this matter but if you put the multiplier back to where it initially was, then start printing something that has a quite large first layer that will be printed solid, and then you can descrease the feedrate manually on the slider above fanspeed in Repetier host, by say 2 at a time and see if it gets better, then you can decrease till there are “holes” in the print, and it starts blobbing, then increasing it by a few steps again and see if it holds.

But as I said I am quite new at this myself, so if this does not work, you have to wait for someone more experienced to reply. Good luck.

[quote=“kjriisne”]I am no expert on this matter but if you put the multiplier back to where it initially was, then start printing something that has a quite large first layer that will be printed solid, and then you can descrease the feedrate manually on the slider above fanspeed in Repetier host, by say 2 at a time and see if it gets better, then you can decrease till there are “holes” in the print, and it starts blobbing, then increasing it by a few steps again and see if it holds.

But as I said I am quite new at this myself, so if this does not work, you have to wait for someone more experienced to reply. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks - I can definitely test that. So are you actually decreasing the feedrate only thru the manual tab while it’s actually printing the piece? or do you do thru the config for print or extruder settings - something like that?

I appreciate your help! Always a challenge that I like to work on!

[quote=“Meximelt”][quote=“kjriisne”]I am no expert on this matter but if you put the multiplier back to where it initially was, then start printing something that has a quite large first layer that will be printed solid, and then you can descrease the feedrate manually on the slider above fanspeed in Repetier host, by say 2 at a time and see if it gets better, then you can decrease till there are “holes” in the print, and it starts blobbing, then increasing it by a few steps again and see if it holds.

But as I said I am quite new at this myself, so if this does not work, you have to wait for someone more experienced to reply. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks - I can definitely test that. So are you actually decreasing the feedrate only thru the manual tab while it’s actually printing the piece? or do you do thru the config for print or extruder settings - something like that?

I appreciate your help! Always a challenge that I like to work on![/quote]

Yes you decrease the feedrate during the print to see if this is the cause of the problem, if this solves the problem then you have to change settings in the config as the problem will still be there on the next print when you only do this manually during the print. This is just a way to see if overextruding is the source of the problem.

[quote=“kjriisne”][quote=“Meximelt”][quote=“kjriisne”]I am no expert on this matter but if you put the multiplier back to where it initially was, then start printing something that has a quite large first layer that will be printed solid, and then you can descrease the feedrate manually on the slider above fanspeed in Repetier host, by say 2 at a time and see if it gets better, then you can decrease till there are “holes” in the print, and it starts blobbing, then increasing it by a few steps again and see if it holds.

Yes you decrease the feedrate during the print to see if this is the cause of the problem, if this solves the problem then you have to change settings in the config as the problem will still be there on the next print when you only do this manually during the print. This is just a way to see if overextruding is the source of the problem.[/quote]

OK - here’s a test where I saw it heading towards too much on the layer in my opinion. I immediately decreased the feedrate to 80 using all original configs
Anyone - idea for next thing to try?

Thanks!

1. Still too thick on layer 2
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hoi4hfkl9xkp8o6/060715%20Octo%202nd%20layer%20bumpy%20plowing%20through%20all%20set%20to%20k8200_play_standard_new%20manual%20feed%20rate%20at%2080a.jpg?dl=0
  2. repetier screen / manual feedrate
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbd1u5gs64il5nz/060715%20Octo%202nd%20layer%20bumpy%20plowing%20through%20all%20set%20to%20k8200_play_standard_new%20manual%20feed%20rate%20at%2080B.jpg?dl=0

Hi, from the picture you posted you are over extruding. The over extrusion is worse on the ‘short passes’ where the rate of extrusion slows / pauses due to changes in direction. This suggests that your feed rate is too high & extruder temperature is a little low. On the ‘long passes’ because of the high flow rate the filament is not quite getting to temperature and limiting the flow making the print about correct. During the ‘short passes’ where the flow is slower due to acceleration, deceleration & momentarily paused during change of direction the filament get slightly more time to heat & flows better highlighting the over extrusion.
Try about 5 degrees hotter & about 90% feed rate and see how you go. Due to the big differences in filaments it’s trial & error. Driving a printer is very much like driving a car you get better with practice.

[quote=“Barnabybear”]Hi, from the picture you posted you are over extruding. The over extrusion is worse on the ‘short passes’ where the rate of extrusion slows / pauses due to changes in direction. This suggests that your feed rate is too high & extruder temperature is a little low. On the ‘long passes’ because of the high flow rate the filament is not quite getting to temperature and limiting the flow making the print about correct. During the ‘short passes’ where the flow is slower due to acceleration, deceleration & momentarily paused during change of direction the filament get slightly more time to heat & flows better highlighting the over extrusion.
Try about 5 degrees hotter & about 90% feed rate and see how you go. Due to the big differences in filaments it’s trial & error. Driving a printer is very much like driving a car you get better with practice.[/quote]

Thanks - I thought it might be too much extruding but couldn’t think of why the longer passes were coming out good. That makes a lot of sense!
I’ll be experimenting!

[quote=“kjriisne”][quote=“Meximelt”][quote=“kjriisne”]I am no expert on this matter but if you put the multiplier back to where it initially was, then start printing something that has a quite large first layer that will be printed solid, and then you can descrease the feedrate manually on the slider above fanspeed in Repetier host, by say 2 at a time and see if it gets better, then you can decrease till there are “holes” in the print, and it starts blobbing, then increasing it by a few steps again and see if it holds.

Yes you decrease the feedrate during the print to see if this is the cause of the problem, if this solves the problem then you have to change settings in the config as the problem will still be there on the next print when you only do this manually during the print. This is just a way to see if overextruding is the source of the problem.[/quote]

Hi kjriisne,
Thanks for your and everyone’s help to date!

• I have my fan duct done,

• blue tape is doing wonders on the heated glass

• I’m still going to try adding a thermal conductor between the glass and velleman bed surface

• I tried fooling with both FLOWRATE & FEEDRATE manually in repetier.

• This worked, but as you said, I had to “drive it” to see when to turn it back up. Basically it’s after the 3rd layer once it starts the infill.
  • Now see photos of recent print, 2 shifts during same print, on one stepper direction only

• I spoke to someone recently with the same printer and he mentioned something about making the head jump up over then back down. Since I printed 3 pcs @ the same time, and it didn’t jump once it finished the shorter piece.

• so if that’s possibly the problem, does anyone know what setting to turn on?

• Also, for the life of me, I’m sure I’m missing it completely, but I do not see a place to adjust flow and feedrate say for the 1st 3 layers. Also for bed temp as someone else suggested after a few layers. I went thru the cfg’s and just am at a loss!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Shifted printing photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0niqlk67n7fogh/061015%20domo%20shift%201.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzdrdzjtay80vvs/061015%20domo%20shift%20back.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/93ixf000hgygnnh/061015%20domo%20shift%20face%20down%2C%20.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpar47ulbqubf0s/061015%20domo%20shift%20face%20down%2C%20AS%20POSITIONED%20ON%20PRINT%20BED.jpg?dl=0

How much thermal compound do you need for the bed?

Try a little hair spray on the glass.