K8200 Eteps Calibration

Hello,

I believe I have a problem with under extrusion. When I set Repetier-Host (v0.95F) to extrude 100mm, it only pushes through 80mm.

My Esteps/mm setting on my VM8201 display reads +0600.0

The nozzle temperature is set at 190 degrees and the wingnut is torqued one and a half turns and I am using 3mm PLA.

I have watched various YouTube movies on this subject but the Esteps/mm number of 0600.0 does not make sense and, no matter how much I dial the numbers, extruding 100mm would take for ages!

Can anyone take the time to explain how to go about calculating my correct Estep/mm number. I’m an elderly novice so please be gentle :slight_smile:

Regards
Tom

Do not change the E steps. Feedrate is responsible for the speed (marked in yellow), you can raise to 120-150.
And acceleration (check feedrare first)
But remember that the feedrate must be matched to the possibility of heating the nozzle.
You need to set up gradually and check.
In the worst case scenario, you can break the gears.
If the feedrate is too high in relation to the possibility of hotend.
Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback.

I’m not quite understanding what is required. Where do I find the above code. Does that require altering?

I have tried using the feedrate slide bar in Repetier-Host, adjusting it slowly from 100 to a maximum of 150 with no real joy.

I’m attempting to print the small gear for the extruder stepper motor. This gear should be 19.5mm long. I have used both Reperier-Host and Ultimaker Cura 5.6 and have also tried printing directly from an SD card but still get the same results. The gear diameter is correct on all of the prints but the height remains constantly incorrect, falling well short at 16.5mm.

I have a friend with a 3D printer who has printed the same file as I am using. It prints fine.

I’m a complete novice on this subject so I hope you understand.

Thank you
Tom

Extruder steps should be
E=(200x16x(43/10))/(3.14x7.52)
E= 582.73478

From what I understood, you have a problem with the Z axis (prints too high), right?
For Z axis depending on the thread (standard or K8204)

Z=(200x16)/screw pitch

These are the firmware settings. Look here

and here too

1 Like

Once again thank you for your help so far and for your patience.

I guess the real problem is that I think mechanically. I am ABSOLUTELY new to 3D printing and this topic / issue has a massively steep learning curve.

The only thing that I am sure of is that my prints to date have the correct diameter but fall well short of their intended height by approximately 3mm,

I have looked at the link you suggested but when it comes to the correct Firmware I’m afraid I am clueless.

Regards
Tom

You just need to download and upload the new firmware with Arduino 1.5.4-r2 (beta)

http://www.k8200.eu/manual/printing/

Go to Instructions / Using the printer / Updating firmaware

And follow the instructions using the firmware and Arduino I gave above.

Regards Marcin

Hello Marcin,

• I have installed Arduino 1.5.4
  • I have downloaded Firmware_K8200_marlinv2
  • I have followed the instructions as per the manual, flashing the marlin.ino sketch which I opened from the Marlin - 2560 - LCD/Marlin folder

This has not resolved the problem. My prints are still 3mm undersized on the Z axis… my prints are too short. :confused:

I hope this makes sense…

Regards
Tom

What is your Z axis?

Yelow is the place where you have to enter the value

K8204 Z= 2133.333

Standard Z=2560
And upload to the printer.

Hello Marcin,

I’ve found the line of code but the calculation seems to give me an awfully height travel on the Z axis.

(200x16)/0.75mm = 4266.66 (the lead screw is M8 x 0.75mm)

Regards
Tom

My mistake. It looks like the K8200 motherboard is set to x8
(200x8)/0.75=2133.333

Greetings Marcin

Hello Marcin,

As per the online manual instructions, I have tried to upload the firmware (firmware_k8200_marlinv2) to the VM8201 board. Arduino 1.5.4 tells me that it has completed the process but the VM8201 Zsteps/mm number does not change!

The only way I have found to change this value is to dial in 2133.3 manually. I did this, saved it then printed a test cylinder 12mmx20mm using both Ultimaker Cura 4.6 and Repetier-Host v0.95F. Once again, in both cases the diameter came out 12mm but the height remained as per the rest of the faulty prints at 17mm… again 3mm shy of the build specification!

Have you thoughts on how I should proceed?

Regards
Tom

Hello
If you did not change the thread of the Z axis then it should be 2560, if you changed to K8204 it will be 2133.333.
You must manually enter this value in the firmware and upload to the printer.

Regards Marcin

Hello Marcin,

I bought this printer second hand so I don’t know if my model is either a K8200 or a K8204. I have checked the thread and the distance between peaks on the Z axis screw it is definitely M8x0.75mm.

I have followed the online manual exactly and have tried to alter the value on the firmware configuration tab using Arduino v1.5.4 but it does not seen to upload as the Zsteps/mm does not change on the VM8201 readout LCD.

Regards
Tom

Did you remember that?

after uploading, restart the motherboard.

Marcin,

I have now flashed the motherboard approximately eight times now. I have used both a screwdriver and a small crocodile clip but get the same result.

Have you had a chance to look at my YouTube clip yet?

Regards
Tom