K8098 Audio Analyser, NOT WORKING! 39€ WASTED!

Greetings Everyone!

I recently bought audio analyser kit (K8098 - code for the kit) at my local electronics store. When i assembled the unit i looked at the LCD screen and the only thing i could see was white backlight and nothing else. At first i though the PIC micro controller wasn’t programmed so i took my oscilloscope to see if the micro controller is working or not. Some pins were sending out signals. Then i took my home made elektrosluch and i pointed towards the PIC micro controller and at the lower part of the IC i could hear some activity and when i pressed the button a stream of buzzing sounds started to appear. Afterwards i pointed elektrosluch towards the other IC and i coulnd’t hear any sounds coming from it.
I also used my multimeter to check for shorts at pins that connect LCD to the main board and i got no shorts there. So i proceeded to check for shorts at the LCD panel and also got no shorts there.
I even used arduino touchscreen shield from velleman to connect it to the main board and i got the same result. Backlight is on but no text is displayed.

I made a youtube video to show that the unit isn’t working correctly.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_6TiDRChNw

In conclusion, there is nothing on the LCD screen and the only thing i see is white backlight. Also i forgot to mention that the voltage regulator gets a bit warm after some time.

1 Like

I’t hard to tell because the camera is jumping all over the place.
It looks like IC1 might be backwards.
Could you post some static pictures?

Of course, i will be right back.

There. The Photos should now be uploaded.

uploaded to where?
I don’t see them.

For some reason my photos don’t want to upload on this forum. I will try a different method.

You may have to upload 1 at a time.

https://www.photobox.co.uk/album/temporary I uploaded the photos here, now they should be accessible.

No pictures there.
Maybe it needs a few minutes

1 Like

ehhh… i received new IC couple of months ago but after few weeks the unit stopped working again.

Can you explain whats going wrong?

I received new IC (programmed PIC micro-controller) and after replacing the old one, the unit was working correctly again. Then i decided to mount the audio analyser into enclosure. After i made the enclosure I inserted the unit in it and used screws to close everything up. When i powered up the unit, it wasn’t working again and i got back to the old problem where the LCD screen backlight would turn on but nothing on the display would be shown.

NOTE: i made the enclosure several months ago and i was busy doing other stuff. That’s why i was inactive for a long time.