K8062 Problem

Hi

I put together the kit myself and it was working ok but now I have some problems with it.
When in windows and using the free software that came with it I cant seem to address lights that don’t start at address 1. All the channels on address 1 seems to work ok but the next light at address 7 doesn’t work at all.
Also when I plug it into a Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10) it completely locks the pc up and I have to power cycle the pc.
I used to have it all working on a mac (apple) and it could address all lights ok (but I dont have one anymore to test on)

Do you think is something to do with the board or the uP.

Thanks

Upgrade to firmware version 3.0 may help.
Please read the last post of this thread. There are instructions how you can check the firmware version of the K8062: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2046
If the version is not 3 then see this thread for a possible solution: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5528

Yeah. it’s V3 firmware.

I managed to get a Mac and try it using the OpenDMX and I can control the 2 lights interdependently.
When on windows using the supplied software I can only control the 1st light at address 1.

Is there anything else I can try??

Thanks so far

Here is the link to download new version of the demo program for the K8062:
box.net/shared/mr5qns9jvj
This version uses new USB communication “engine”.
The files K8062D.DLL and K8062E.EXE are updated to version 3.0.0.0.

Please extract the package to a folder and run the DMX_demo.exe in this folder.

If OK, then you can to copy the files K8062D.DLL, K8062E.EXE and FASTTime32.dll to the Windows subfolder System32.
If you have a 64 bit operating system, copy the files to subfolder SysWOW64.

Copy the files to your application folder too.

Then you can run your DMX application program.

Thank you. All working now.

Thank you for the great service.

I connected a dimmer to the k8062 in test mode it works perfectly but with the dmx_demo in delphi it does not communicate with the dimmer (dimmer led off) I use dll 3.0.0.0
when I start the dmx_demo software the led of the k8062 flashes quickly but the dimmer led remains off, what can I do
Thanks

In test mode the K8062 sends DMX data on all 512 channels.
In the DMX demo you have to use the same DMX channel addresses as set in the dimmer.
They are adjacent DMX addresses starting from the dimmer’s ‘DMX start address’.

the dimmer has 30 channels in dmx_demo I set 30 channels but it does not communicate to make it work I have to set at least 50 channels in dmx_demo it seems a voltage problem on d + d-
Thanks

Do you have you any indication of this?

i don’t know the brand this is the model link :

OK.
What is the DIP switch setting you are using?

For DMX start address 1 the DIP setting should be:

• Switch number 1 ON.
  • All other OFF.
    As shown in this picture:
    DIP

yes I have set the dip switch as indicated but to make it communicate I have to use a much higher number of channels in the k8062, minimum 50, otherwise it does not communicate

When only the switch number 1 is ON, does the dimmer work with this setting on 30 adjacent channels starting from 50?
Does the start address increase from 50 exactly in steps of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and 64 if you turn on switches 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 one by one?
Are there any “ineffective” switches?

the dimmer works with any address setting
but to make it communicate with the k8062 I have to set it in delphi with the instruction SetChannelCount (50); or above otherwise it does not communicate this because by setting many channels the voltage on D + and D- increases slightly and begins to communicate

Do you have some test results of the signal amplitudes on D+ and D- if SetChannelCount is below or above 50?
I made a test and didn’t notice any difference.
I noticed the signal amplitudes are in both cases about 3.63V.
Here’s a screenshot from an oscilloscope screen:
dmx

According to the DMX specifications the DMX512 data is transmitted over a differential pair using EIA-485 also known as RS-485 voltage levels.
RS-485 standard conform drivers provide a differential output of a minimum 1.5 V across a 54-Ω load, whereas standard conform receivers detect a differential input down to 200 mV.

According to the specification, the dimmer should work if there is 200mV or more voltage difference between D+ and D-.

i don’t have an oscilloscope i made the measurements with the multimeter

measurements between D + and negative
measurements between D - and negative

SetChannelCount(1) D- =0,8 D+=4,09 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(10) D- =0,82 D+=4,08 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(20) D- =0,89 D+=3,99 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(30) D- =0,97 D+=3,91 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(38) D- =1,04 D+=3,84 communicates unstable
SetChannelCount(50) D- =1,13 D+=3,84 comunicate ok
SetChannelCount(200) D- =1,77 D+=3,12 comunicate ok
SetChannelCount(512) D- =1,74 D+=3,14 comunicate ok

measurements between D + and D-

SetChannelCount(1) 3,29 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(10) 3,25 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(20) 3,09 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(30) 2,94 does not communicate
SetChannelCount(38) 2,81 communicates unstable
SetChannelCount(50) 2,62 comunicate ok
SetChannelCount(200) 1,34 comunicate ok
SetChannelCount(512) 1,55 comunicate ok

Thank you for the test data.
I made the same measurements with a multimeter and got exactly similar voltage values.