K8055 not working

Hi, I have a problem with my K8055 usb board.
When i connect the usb cable the power LED i light but the LD8 doesn´t flash and nothing else happend.
I have installed the software but can´t connect to the card.

/Alex

This is most likely due to an assembly error. Check all solder joints for shorts, forgotten or bad soldering, check component values and orientation, check if processor gets 5V. For some reason, the processor is not running. It is not even trying to connect with the PC, otherwise, LD8 would remain lit.

{from another forum user}

With the VM110 (pre-built) version of this device [the PCB is still identified as P8055-1] it is LD11 that is the Power LED, and that stays ON while the USB cable is connected.

The ‘I have seen a host PC’ indicator is LD8, one of the 8 digital-output monitors at the right side next to the screw block. That flashes 3 times, at the same time that your PC gives the ‘ding-dong’ signal that it has loaded a usb device. After that LD8 defaults to OFF, and is under program control.

My PC [WinXP Home] creates an anonymous entry for the K8055 in Device Manager under the heading “Human Interface Devices”.

If the K8055 Demo Program won’t connect, can I suggest you check the Card Address jumpers (on the board, SK5 and SK6) and the corresponding selection at the top left of the Demo. Both jumpers need to be installed and both boxes need to be checked to get the address to default to Card 0. If they don’t match the Demo will report “CARDn not found” when you click on the CONNECT button.

Hi, the processor gets 5V and I have re-solded all the joints and checked for shorts.
The jumpers are in correct place.
Can the processor be damaged from factory?

/Alex

I know it sounds basic, but is the processor chip installed the right way round, and are all the legs correctly seated in the socket?

Other than that I don’t think I can add anything - having re-read Vel417’s reply I think it makes sense to conclude that the processor is not running the basic USB firmware, so you don’t get a USB device created in your host PC.

I have checked the processor and rest of the components a 1000 times now :lol: they are correct mounted and the legs are in the sockets.
Soon I give up and throw it away.
Can I buy a new PIC16C745 and replase the old one or is it “programmed”?

/Alex

You can send the (defective) controller to us by mail and we will send you a new one.

We have now switched all the components from a working controller but the processor dont start.
All my components work on the “working” controller.

I give up!

Where can I send the defect controller?

Please return it to:

Velleman Projects Tech Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium