K8048 Not recognising onboard chip

I have one of these kits from years ago and have it connected to COM1 on the Windows 7 Pro PC running PicProg2009 and it sees the kit but when trying to read the 16F84A installed I get a report that the chip is not the same as selected even though the selection is correct. Does anyone have any idea why that would happen? The kit was mounted years ago onto a diecast box and is as it was then so nothing has changed, except the PC software of course.

In function --> Hardware configuration do you have K8048 / VM111 selected?
Are you using a real com port?

Thank you Wrong Way, I checked and the K8048/VM111 is selected and the port on the PC is a genuine COM1. It is a Lenovo PC which I found as one of the few around that have one. The error I get is “The settings don’t match the Pic in the programmer. Do you want to continue?”. I tried a number of different Pics and get the same result. I am able to use the COM1 port with a Cadex battery analyser so know it works. I should also say that the board was not a kit as it has P8048 on it and I have a feeling that it was completely made up when first bought.

I wonder if the port settings for COM1 are not right but I don’t know what they need to be. I see COM1 is 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity and 1 stop bit with no flow control. Does anyone know if that matches what the 8048 needs? Perhaps the error I get is because it can’t communicate so it thinks the device is not correct?

I’m not sure about the speed.
However in the users manual they talk about IRQ 3 or 4.
If I remember ports 1 & 3 use IRQ 4 and ports 2 & 4 use IRQ 3