K8044 PIC reprogramming using VM111

Hi,

I purchased the K8044 and the Random Pattern generator freezes after a while. I was going to send the chip back but thought I may try and copy and program my own chip (PIC16F627A) and alter some of the flash patterns to my liking.

This is where I have come unstuck as I can only read the Hex code from the orig chip and when I paste this onto the blank chip, it fails. Not only that but it is next to impossible to decipher the hex data so I can modify it.

Help Please??

The freezing is most likely due to a mechanical cause. The PIC itself is not defective. Check the oscillator circuit, probably there is an intermittent contact, a bad soldering or some other problem.
Sorry, for copyright reasons we never release PIC code.

[quote=“VEL417”]The freezing is most likely due to a mechanical cause. The PIC itself is not defective. Check the oscillator circuit, probably there is an intermittent contact, a bad soldering or some other problem.
Sorry, for copyright reasons we never release PIC code.[/quote]

I have checked all solder points and the osc circuit, everything is as it should be. All of the standard patterns work perfectly, its only the random pattern that freezes.

If you wont release PIC code, can I get Velleman to make me a PIC with the patterns I am after, or the revised PIC code for a fee?

We can offer inspection and/or exchange if you return the assumed defective pic. Sorry, no custom programming. Return pic to:

Velleman Kit Tech. Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium

Hi

Yes I’m having the same problem with both K8044 kits I’ve built, the random mode freezes (keeps cycling the last 8 or so patterns) after a while. I suspect a software bug as well since the normal pattern mode works fine even left on for hours.

Any comments from the Velleman mods?

Mike

There has been an update for this bug. If you return your PIC, we can reprogram it for you. Please return it to:

Velleman Kit Tech. Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium

Sorry, no hex code

Hi

I sent two chips back to Velleman to get this bug corrected - I have received them but they still have the same problem, the random mode stops being random after a while and gets stuck in a loop.

I have four K8044 units with the same problem - shall I send the chips back again for reprogramming?

I know you have a policy of not sending hex code but in this case there seems to be a general software problem with the kit - surely it would be more cost-effective to email the corrected software out to customers who have PIC programmers so users can reprogram rather than incur the cost of sending chips back (twice in my case) for correcting?

best regards

Mike

Hi again

I forgot to mention - the paperwork from Velleman for my PIC chips says ‘exchange’ so I’m a bit worried that they’ve just been exchanged for stock chips with the same ‘bugged’ software on them, rather than the new corrected software?

best regards

Mike

Mike, please send me your complete address to my email address:

dpp@velleman.be

I will send you the lastest update (Rev3) by post.

Hello !
My K8044, the PIC (IC1 - PIC16F627A) are not working ok, only flash the leds, not is possible change the programs on Switchs !
Is possible you change it ?
Thanks !
Rafael