K8039 dimmer flicker

Hi,
I have built the K8039 dmx dimmer and it works well.
the only problem is it seems to flicker when between 1% and 99%.
I know the dmx signal is good as have tried many control devices and cables, terminators.
can you help??
Thanks,
Dave.

What is your load ?
Maybe you make some high res pictures of your PCB, if load is OK it must be an assembly problem.
Check also voltage selection setup.

I am having the same problem with irregularly flickering.
I have tried the J2 shunt but that still doesn’t solve the problem. It appears that the current DMX speeds are too fast for this older DMX design.
Is there anything that could be done to improve the DMX receive speed of this kit?

DMX512 speed is a standard and has not changed.
The problem is not the speed.
The problem is that some brands of controllers use an out-of-spec gap between packets.
Until now, we have not been able so simulate the problem, as it works fine with all the controllers we carry.
As soon as we have a solution, we will update the firmware.

I am using a MagicDMX dongle and running MagicQ Software.
Their website: magicdmx.com/

Discussion about this problem can be found here: blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=53789

I will look forward to the upgrade

[quote=“VEL417”]DMX512 speed is a standard and has not changed.
The problem is not the speed.
The problem is that some brands of controllers use an out-of-spec gap between packets.
Until now, we have not been able so simulate the problem, as it works fine with all the controllers we carry.
As soon as we have a solution, we will update the firmware.[/quote]
Did you find a solution / release a new firmware?
I’m experiencing the very same issue.

Thank you.

Most of these problems are caused by jitter on the DMX-signal. I have some moving heads which also behave unstable when used with a very simple DMX-interface where timing is generated inside the computer (never trust a Windows machine for exact timings!). All those problems were solved when using a better interface which generates its own DMX-signal (like the Enttec PRO (NOT the Enttec openUSB because here timing is also generated in computer)).

I have bought three of these K8039 units and all three react the same.
-Flickering on all ranges
-less noticeable on channel 1 (DMX 0)
-Used as single devices with and without terminating resistor.
-Used with DMX OPEN and DMX PRO (no difference)
-Used different lights with different loads
-On board hardware test dims and brightens lamps slowly without any flicker.

I also have three of the K8072 DMX relay units.
This product uses the exact same ICs to receive the DMX signals as well as control the board.
With the exact same setup I don’t get any issues… ever.
Conclusion - The software is not correct for this product.
**** Corrective action**** Is to get a software fix for this product as soon as possible.
I will try a MAX481 as the receiver (on the board) to try to improve the signal but I have my doubts this will work since the SN75176 works fine on my other boards with the exact same setup.

If this helps at all I will reply again to this post.

Both kits (or modules) uses the same DMX core routine.
If the K8074 works perfectly also the K8039 must be.
Please check again with one device on a DMX controller, don’t forget the termination.

[quote=“VEL456”]Both kits (or modules) uses the same DMX core routine.
If the K8074 works perfectly also the K8039 must be.
Please check again with one device on a DMX controller, don’t forget the termination.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply,
If both kits use the same hardware (front end IC’s) and both are using the same core routine, it might be possible the output to the load/ light might have some issues… cutting out instead of holding the last known data/state?
I have noticed that if I toggle the state of the K8039 to any on condition, the light will be on for only 2 seconds without any further input. All other devices I have will remain in the state until I change it.

I have used the exact hardware including termination on both types of kits. The only oddity is noticed when using the K8039.

I stumbled across something else odd when running both types of kits in line from one another with only 1 address apart. I will do a bit more testing just to make sure that what I saw is reproducible/ constant.

I’m sure this is something very small and simple to fix.

UPDATE:
K8039 set to address 45, this will stay constant for the testing listed below.
K8039 responds to DMX on address 44.
Tested responses on DMX address 43 and lower - nothing.
Tested responses on DMX address 45 - slight flicker on ramp up and down only.
Tested responses on DMX address 46 - slight flickering on changed states (fully on and off) and ramp up and down.
Tested responses on DMX address 47 - Lots of flickering and its very apparent now that the light intensity matches those of the settings/ routine.
Tested responses on DMX to address 48 - nothing.

This would correspond to the seemingly dead/ flicker of the light when running on the designated DMX address if the k8039 thinks it should be responding on another sporadically.

I have tried this exact same setup for the DMX relay kit and it will only respond to the designated DMX address as it should and doesn’t ever have a problem.
I have gone as far as replacing R25 to a 1M as is in my relay kit instead of the 1.5M for the K8039 but no change. All testing I have done is pointing to a minor error in the code.

Again I’m sure this will be a very easy/quick fix.
Any further testing/ modifications you would like me to perform please let me know.

I’m going to run the exact routine on all 4 DMX addresses (set for the device and 3 above) later today.
If the flickering stops this will prove that the k8039 can’t determine the correct address it’s supposed to be set to.
Will keep you posted

Confirmed work around to the code problem within the K8039 DMX light dimmer.

Set your k8039 dimmer to the desired DMX address on the device.
Copy and past your routine 1 channel below that address (standard offset for the DMX world) as well as the 3 DMX addresses above.

Since the code in the K8039 doesn’t seem to remember what address it was set to between these (4 DMX addresses) consistently when being used, copying and pasting your routine in all of the 4 DMX addresses controls the dimmer no matter what it thinks it was set to.

This is far from perfect but the results are far superior (occasional flicker hardly worth mentioning)
I hope that this will spark action to the company to help supply us with a new PIC with better code.

Hope this helps everyone.