K8035, Mounting the IC

The mounting of the IC (PIC) is really a trap. It must be mounted upside down. This is not clearly emphasized and it is in contradiction with normal rules and the art of the profession. (Only the photo of the mounted board gives a hint)

As a result (of normal mounting) the IC got very hot and I finally spotted the problem. However the clock section do not work. Also any cold start seems difficult. I use it for counting from an external source but I wonder if the IC hs been severely damaged.

What do you mean by upside down?
According to this photo it’s placed normally with pin1 matching the socket pin 1:

It’s not unusual that ICs are turned by 90° or 180° for an optimal pcb layout.
That’s why pin 1 is clearly marked on the pcb.

Or did I understand you wrong?

The PCB clearly indicates the position of the notch and the position of pin1?
Sorry, we do not see the problem, please elaborate.

Yes the pin number 1 is marked. However look at the photo, all descriptions lead to think that the IC should be mounted with the notch to the left.
Certainly, I understand that the PCB layout could be facilitated by this positioning but I maintain that it is a real exception and not adapted for kits.
In the mounting instructions no direct advice. In fact the picture number 17 shows the IC in “normal” position.

Simply please admit that the instruction or PCB could have been better made.

PS. I am not an electronic engineer but I have made several constructions with IC and I have worked 30 years in a company making electronic measuring instruments.

[quote=“malvigue”]Yes the pin number 1 is marked. However look at the photo, all descriptions lead to think that the IC should be mounted with the notch to the left.
Certainly, I understand that the PCB layout could be facilitated by this positioning but I maintain that it is a real exception and not adapted for kits.
In the mounting instructions no direct advice. In fact the picture number 17 shows the IC in “normal” position.

Simply please admit that the instruction or PCB could have been better made.

PS. I am not an electronic engineer but I have made several constructions with IC and I have worked 30 years in a company making electronic measuring instruments.[/quote]
Sorry, but personally I don’t agree with you:

• the photo on the front shows the IC in the correct position
  • picture 17 only advises to check the notch on the IC with the socket and also shows pin 1 on the board (exactly the way it’s marked on the board)
  • picture 18 shows the IC in the correct position
  • picture 20 clearly shows were pin 1 is located on the board

I don’t see how the instructions could be more clear.

As I mentioned before it’s very common to turn ICs in order to keep crossings and via’s on the PCB to a minimum.
I’ve been working in PCB layout for many years and never worried about turning an IC by 90, 180 or 270°.
That would be like trying to get all diodes pointing in the same direction.

In contradiction with normal rules and art of profession? Sorry but I’ve repaired lot of devices that were more professional than a Velleman kit and I’ve seen IC’s in every direction. So the whole world works against the normal rules and they all don’t understand the art of profession. Do you really believe that? Please be fair.