K8018 Not Working

I have assembled a K8018 and I was able to plug it into the pc and get a program loaded. But when plug it in nothing happens. If its plugged in along with the usb the red led saying usb only stays on. On the board I noticed all the empty holes on the board. Do those need to be soldered together? Also is the Sk1 supposed to be used for anything, because it doesn’t say anything on the instructions. It also doesn’t say anything about soldering a wire though the holes. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks

Most likely an assembly problem.
Sorry, this forum does not allow picture uploads
If you can provide LINKS (e.g. by using a free online picture base) to HI-RES and SHARP pics of your assembly (both solder- and component side)
then we can take a look and provide some feedback.

I am fairly sure it is a assembly error and I think I know where it is, in the surface soldered chips. But I am wondering if you are supposed to put some wire though the unmarked holes on the board and solder both sides. It does not say anything on the instructions about doing it, but I though I might have to solder it. Hopefully you can help me with this.

Usually, if the instructions do not say that you have to do something, then you don’t have to do it…

Once again, if you are positive that there is an assembly problem, please understand that we can try to help, but we need something to work on, such as hi-res and sharp pics.

Hi,

Just wondering what kind of power supply did you attach to it?
Did you check the output of it?

I used a power supply that allows for custom voltage and interchangeable tips, I set it to 9 volts and it outputs 600mA

You should post the pictures so Vel-417 can take a look.

here are some pictures, I tried re soldering the surfice chips but it still wont turn on, all I get is a light when plugged in with usb, and the light doesn’t go away when plugged into power.
imgur.com/Hqvu4pC,8qVap5I,YPslVu … ,Bx6lh4i#0

So I was able to get it to turn on with a custom program that just loops lighting up all the led. The only way it turns on is if I push the plug hard to the right, and even with that sometimes it doesn’t work. I think the problem is the plug isn’t making good connection but that one is the only that fits. Also, when it does turn on only 2 two lines in the back if the front in the plug light up brightly, and the others are very dim. Some do not even light up. Hopefully someone can help. Here is a picture of what it looks like when it lights up imgur.com/MG3k0GX

Sorry, but soldering looks very poor.
The problems you are experiencing are definately of a mechanical nature (bad or loose tracks, pad, solderings, etc…).
Solving them from a distance will not be possible. Either you can have a friend take a look at your assembly, or you can return the unit for inspection/repair.

What happened to the microchip in the corner?

Hey Guys,

I’m also a rather new to this hobby. I’m starting this project as well, but it probably is beyond my soldering skill. I was just curious if you would recommend a soldering tip/solder combination that would work well. The first thing I was working on was the header pins. Seemed simple enough, but it’s sizzling and popping, and I’m not sure (probably) damaging the circuit board. I’m using a weller 40w adjustable iron, with a medium sized tip, and .040" 63/37 solder. Perhaps I need thinner solder so I don’t need as much heat to melt it, and thereby not cook the circuit board? Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. I’ve looked at a few soldering videos, but they aren’t very specific as to the solder size/heat settings they are using.

Thanks,

Keith

Iron is most likely OK, but K8018 is not really a board for newbies :slight_smile:
We’d recommend to get e.g. a eurocard PCB and a couple of spare, inexpensive components to gain some experience first.