K6714-16 Relay activation question

Hi, first of all I wanted to ask if there exists the English assembly manual for this device?:
velleman.eu/downloads/0/asse … 714-16.pdf

Then, I read that the relays can be activated through opencolector, TTL, and CMOS.
Is it possible to activate the relays just with some kind of external switches? I mean, is it possible to set the relay (the board input) using a switch like the onboard mounted switches?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Try this link.
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k6714-16_rev1.pdf

Yes you can connect switches and activate the relays.

Ok, thanks!

Can I use then VB directly to switch relays ON? (12Vdc on VB).

Ok,

You lost me.
Do you mean Visual Basic?
If so no.
You would need a control board like the K8055N

Ok, sorry for the mistake.
On the K6714-16 board there is an output voltage called VB which supplies 12Vdc/250mA max.

I wanted to know if its possible to use this voltage to set the input with a switch, I mean:

VB—>Switch1—>Input1
VB—>Switch2—>Input2

Yes, you can control the relays either with +12V or +5VDC.

Many thanks for the fast answer, really valuable info.

in fact from my experience this board switches when you connect GND to the input pin. Some say VB to input pin will short circuit, have not tried.
Note that you can also add (optional) DIP switches to the board to control manually on the board.

If you want to control it from something more sophisticated like an Arduino then it’s best to add the (optional) ULN2803 driver IC. The “-16” version seems to come with that. When the drivers are not installed their paths must be bridged (and if you want to use the driver you need to remove the bridges).

Some people ask if you can drive an Arduino or so of this board. Well it’s rated 12V/250mA but of course if all relays are engaged at the same time it will use quite a bit of that power. I use this board on 125V in USA and the output is 16V not 12V and it’s not regulated so I would not drive anything that needs a regulated power supply. Also this board activates coils and switches so you can get some noise in your circuits (again optional components suppress noise). You could add a voltage regulator in the middle. Some Velleman kits are ok with the power provided from this kit though.