K2579 - Change 12v DC to run in a car

Is it possible to run this kit in a car than a power supply by changing a component or something?

I have a transformer the emulates a 12v car battery and the kit worked fine but when I connected it to the car though the cigarette lighter the kit did not work.

Then tested is again on the transformer again I found that I had blown it.

(Now ordered new components to repair it)

Most likely you’ve inverted the polarity, which destroyed the IC.
Theoretically, you can use this kit in a car, however, there are better alternatives, such as the K8015.

[quote=“cdgold3”]Is it possible to run this kit in a car than a power supply by changing a component or something?

I have a transformer the emulates a 12v car battery and the kit worked fine but when I connected it to the car though the e cigarette lighter the kit did not work.

Then tested is again on the transformer again I found that I had blown it.

(Now ordered new components to repair it)[/quote]
In my case it was also didn’t work when I tried to connect it to the car through the cigarette lighter.

I bought this kit to get my 12yr old into building circuits… but we are starting with this kit because I need a timer… can I make this kit run on even less DC power… like the mute button of my TV remote… or would I need to try and add a near-infrared emitting diode to run the kit as it is.

I don’t know why, but TV just seems so much better if I mute the commercials… just un-muting is the problem… hulu is 60 seconds… network TV can be like 3 to 5 minutes… and people pay to have as much as 1/3 of every hour of TV, stuff they don’t even want to see… over a year, that can add up to a few hundred dollars they are being robbed of.

Just adding software to run the TVs own mute as a timer would be the ideal way to go, but for some reason I really don’t think that’s going to happen… every TV I’ve owned has need the time set, but for some reason it’s too much for a TV to tell me the time of day.

Sorry, we are confused, what is your question? :slight_smile:

I have used a K2579 very successfully with small 9v dry batteries, but now need to extend the operating time. I want to use a 12v SLA battery, but when I connected it the Transistor blew in a quite spectacular way. I have replaced the Transistor but it still doesn’t work so presumably I have blown several bits at the same time…no matter I have bought a few more K2579s.

The real question is, can I use a 12v SLA battery, or is the circuitry very sensitive to over voltage, as the SLA is going to be a little bit over, say 12.5-13.5v. If that’s the case, can I step down the voltage to about 10v by putting a resistor in series with the board, or is that too simple?

(I know there was a comment that this can happen if the supply is connected wrongly, but I’m sure I had the terminals the right way round.)

Hope there is a solution, just don’t want to find out by trial and error by just keeping on blowing them up!

Could you post some sharp pictures of the K2579?
You’ll need to upload them to an image hoster.

Not done it before, but I will give it a go. Is there any particular area you are interested in?

There appear to be endless free sites to choose from. Do they all do the same sort of thing, or have you any suggestions for a beginner?

Imgur is easy
And copy the BBCode link in a reply