K2543 Ignition amplifier - how hot is safe?

I have built and installed this kit in my Bedford Rascal van, and it works well so far, but I am a little concerned by the temperature it reaches.

The module is in an ABS plastic enclosure mounted beside the engine, with the heatsink exposed. I measured the temperature of the heatsink as the engine was running and it reached 70deg C

Is that Too Hot?

I don’t want to fry it now :slight_smile:

Would a metal enclosure be better?

A max. of 60°C would be better. A metal enclosure could help with getting rid of excess heat.

Thanks. I’ve ordered an alloy box…

So I’ve fitted the module in a diecast alloy box, with the heatsink on the outside, and a little further away from the engine - seems to reach around 40degC now.

Both the ones i made are in a plastic enclosure with the heat sink on the outside, and it only feels slightly warm to the touch after a good run. So what can be the cause of higher temp? I’d have thought there was a problem with the soldering somewhere.

I think these units are fantastic… i’ve now got 5 - one for each car (3 to make up someday now)! I’m actually choosing these instead of other electronic ignition types (TAC, Optronic or Hall Effect) as i’ve got more confidence in them rather than cost consideration.