Just installed K8204 Z-axis upgrade on my K8200 printer

Hi all, just come home with a Velleman K8204 kit from my local shop.

It seems to run perfectly :slight_smile:

However, I do not see how the firmware (FIRMWARE K8200 V2.1.ZIP
) on velleman site http://www.k8200.eu/support/downloads/can work.

I am quite sure that the pitch is 1.5mm on this axis, and therefore the settings must be:
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {64.25,64.25,[color=#FF0000]2133.33[/color],600}
i.e. (360 / 1.8 * 16) / 1.5mm = 2133.333
instead of
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {64.25,64.25,[color=#FF0000]4266.67[/color],600}
which indicates a pitch of 0.75mm!

Maybe some from Velleman can confirm this?

//Kasper

Hi Kasper

Can you move the Z axis in RH up by 10mm and measure the effective distance?
The 0.75mm seemed to me also rather strange.
Perhaps the firmware was configured for a 0.9° stepper motor?

Thanks

[quote=“Deskstar”]Hi Kasper

Thanks[/quote]

Seems stange for me too.
But, if the firmware were set for a 0.9 stepper motor it would effectively double the steps istead of cutting them to half.

I’m awaiting mine this week.
I let you know what i find out if it’s mounted.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]
Seems stange for me too.
But, if the firmware were set for a 0.9 stepper motor it would effectively double the steps istead of cutting them to half.

I’m awaiting mine this week.
I let you know what i find out if it’s mounted.[/quote]
That is what it looks like:
The new configuration.h has an entry of 4266.67. That would be for a 1.5mm pitch on a 0.9° stepper.
For the standard stepper a 1.5mm pitch would be 2133.33.

I will have to wait a couple of weeks until I receive mine :frowning:

No, you got me wrong.

If the firmware were calculating steps for a 0.9 stepper it would make a 1,8 stepper move DOUBLE the distance, not half.

Dear all,

The new firmware was made in assumption the motherboard had 1/32 microstep drivers (as is the case in our new printer the Vertex) but the K8200 has the 1/16 microstep drivers. The value in the configuration.h file is indeed wrong. We are changing this file asap and a new version V2.1.1 will be made available.

We are sorry for the inconvenience

Sincerely

[quote=“VEL327”]Dear all,

The new firmware was made in assumption the motherboard had 1/32 microstep drivers (as is the case in our new printer the Vertex) but the K8200 has the 1/16 microstep drivers. The value in the configuration.h file is indeed wrong. We are changing this file asap and a new version V2.1.1 will be made available.

We are sorry for the inconvenience

Sincerely[/quote]

That’s exacly what i assumed. :wink:

No big deal at all.

Hi VEL327

Thanks for the clarification.
That explains everything :slight_smile:

So the new screw has a pitch of 1.5mm, and the correct value is 2133.33 for the Z axis.

[quote=“Deskstar”]Hi Kasper

Can you move the Z axis in RH up by 10mm and measure the effective distance?

Thanks[/quote]

Hi Deskstar
When I rotate the z-axis by hand 4 rotations (4x360°) the effective distance is equal to 6mm (4x1.5mm)
I also have a picture on my mobile, where I measure 12mm with a caliper and counter thread (8, in this case), see pic.

I have not reviewed all of Marlin software for K8204, I use a repetier 0.91 firmware, maybe they have changed to 32 microsteps mode instead of 16? (I don’t know if it is possible to do this)

//Kasper

Hi Kasper

That’s exactly what I expected.
Look at the post above.
The value for the Z axis is indeed wrong in the configuration.h.

Simply set the value to 2133.33 and you should be fine.

I installed this upgrade and the new firmware
I downloaded from velleman site, compiled and uploads to board.
It seems to work so far

However I have seen reference on forum …make sure you update the EEPROM values.

While I understand their is EEprom on the board I don’t know what values and how to store them

Could anybody advise or suggest a link
Thank you

Noel

I too am having issue understanding how setting EEprom works

As advised here viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12966

I checked my Configuration.h

#define EEPROM_SETTINGS // was already uncommented
#define EEPROM_CHITCHAT // I had to uncomment this

I then re compiled Mariln.ino and uploaded new firmware to board.

I then run Repetier Host Mac 0.56, connect to printer and go to Printer EEPROM settings but there are still no values displayed
The bottom of the window says …works only with Repetier firmware

Can anybody offer help here please ?

tks
Noel

ADD: I am using this instructable to calibrate my extruder
instructables.com/id/How-to- … d-Printer/

But I can’t find how to config EEprom tks

When I installed Mattercontrol (alternative to Repetier) it allows me see my EEPROM (window entitled Marlin Firmware EEPROM Settings)
If I update EEPROM using Matter control I assume they stay set and that Repetier won’t over ride them unless I issue a M500/M502
Wonder is this a Repetier Host Mac 0.56 shortcoming or have I something misconfigured ?

[quote=“ndillane”]
When I installed Mattercontrol (alternative to Repetier) it allows me see my EEPROM (window entitled Marlin Firmware EEPROM Settings)
If I update EEPROM using Matter control I assume they stay set and that Repetier won’t over ride them unless I issue a M500/M502
Wonder is this a Repetier Host Mac 0.56 shortcoming or have I something misconfigured ?[/quote]

May be a MAC issue. It works perfectly onb Windows, even with marlin.

A couple of clarifications re EEprom values needed if you have time
…just select Y or N after each sentence

When you compile and update firmware does it update the EEprom values automatically (Y/N)
Or do you need still need to send the printer a M502 followed by a M500 (Y/N)
(From previous post: M502 loads default settings and M500 stores them to EEprom) (Y/N)
In this context does “default settings” mean the settings in the newly compiled/uploaded firmware (Y/N)
So m502 loads settings from program memory and M500 then overwrites EEprom settings from firmware prog memory (Y/N)

Appreciate your help

tks
Noel

Based on a couple of articles I have read I think i figured out this as follows

When you compile and update the firmware it does not update the EEprom values automatically
So you still need to send the printer a M502 followed by a M500
(M502 loads (default ) settings from firmware you just uploaded and M500 stores them to EEprom.

If you change Eeprom settings use a host app such as repetier or mattercontrol you can reload default settings from firmware using M502/M500

tks
Noel

Does the K8204 kit contains TR10x2 or TR8x1.5 rod?

It’s a TR8x1.5.

cheers,

Christian

It’s still very strange to me that the upper bearing assembly is completely removed when upgrading to K8204. Meaning that all vertical load is on the stepper motor and its weak aluminium support…
I’m very curious how long this will last…

Best practice seems to be to actually hang the stepper motor on the top

I read an article some time ago explaining the engineering behind this and why its better to not have compression on a lead screw

Can’t get my hands on it right now but is seemed quite convincing at the time

Here is a solution

thingiverse.com/thing:648925

Promising to get to this some day soon

Noel

how to install the firmware ?