Installing white IKEA LEDs

Hello,

I just bought the warm white IKEA LEDs. I’m currently printing the mounts.
I would like the power of the lights to be connected with the printers power.

Any advice on how I best do that? I have very little experience with electronics…

Thanks in advance for the help.

Greetings,
Marloes

These LED’s are working on 12V while the power supply delivers 15V.
You can buy a DC-DC convertor to convert the 15V -> 12V or use a separate power supply.

Dylan

how good are you with soldering on the main board?
taking the info from the instruction of the K8403 mod, you can solder a pin to the mother board and have 12V from there.

see https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/user/usermanual_k8403_en.pdf figure 9 shows it

Best
Frank

Devil’s advocate here - I look at these questions the same way I look at the previous scramble to print switch holders to mount an on-off switch directly onto the K8400. I suppose it depends on how tolerant your need for aesthetics is (mine is “what’s aesthetics?”), but a simple power-strip extension cord with 3 outlets and a switch works absolutely stunningly for me. Plug in the K8400 to one socket, the IKEA LEDs into the second, and one’s even left over! One switch controls it all, no motherboard mods, no custom printed parts. Okay, so I’m a caveman, but I’m a happy caveman!

[quote=“frank.von.thienen”]taking the info from the instruction of the K8403 mod, you can solder a pin to the mother board and have 12V from there.
see https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/user/usermanual_k8403_en.pdf figure 9 shows it
[/quote]
I don’t see it.

Looking at the printer main board schematics (here), the connector, which I suspect being the cluster containing PK0-4 (center-right on the image), “12V” output is directly connected to “V+”, which is just VIN minus a diode drop (common value 0.7 V). You’d be getting around 15-0.7 = 14.3 V from that pin even if the output is named “12V”.

Naturally, the IKEA lights might work just fine with that - but it’s not 12 V.

On picture #9 in the red circle, you can see the 5V and 12V on the print board.
5V is lower left, 12V is read upper right corner of the black connector