Installed second extruder and now I can't print. Please help

Hi,

I installed my 2nd extruder and it is hitting my print so it is causing my prints to go out of alignment. I have printed several tests and as long as it is not wider than the gap to the 2nd extruder it prints just fine.

How do I adjust this, I don’t see any place I can adjust.

Do you mean that the height of the second extruder means the nozzle is interfering with the print from the first nozzle?
If so, you may not have assembled either nozzle assembly correctly, otherwise a small shim may be in order where it connects to the rest of the carriage… a picture might help, if you still have a problem.

[quote=“Chris-H”]Do you mean that the height of the second extruder means the nozzle is interfering with the print from the first nozzle?
If so, you may not have assembled either nozzle assembly correctly, otherwise a small shim may be in order where it connects to the rest of the carriage… a picture might help, if you still have a problem.[/quote]

You are correct the second extruder is interfering with the print from the first. What is your recommendation for a small shim. It looks to be less than .5mm lower. I will snap a picture and add it to the forum.

Hey, it’s a little difficult without a picture of your setup but i’ll try…

Not knowing your setup, I’d say it’s just as likely the first nozzle is misaligned and the second is correct as the other way around.

First, check the nozzle [color=#FFFF00]gap[/color] into the insulator sleeve for any stark differences…
[color=#00BFFF]Then check all the washers are in place[/color]

I’m assuming you followed the velleman instructions, crucially this measurement…

On reflection, the idea of a shim isn’t really possible due to the construction method of sandwiching the insulator between the plates.

As it’s so close, The simplest thing would be to unscrew the 1st nozzle out a little so that it’s level with the second (or half on both, 1 in, 1 out)

Personally, I’d preheated the nozzle(s), turn off the printer, carefully remove the heater block then adjust the nozzle(s). Yes it will be VERY HOT ! (pliers & gloves) then let it cool before reassembling.

You should then be able to correct to the new level with the bed adjustment wheels.