Improvement of glas plate

Hi everybody,

i tested an idea of modification of the glass-plate in combination with heatbed:
Now i print alternatively to the standard glossy glas-plate also with a glas-plate etched with acid .
(industial compounded, you don’t have to deal with acid :slight_smile:

Now if printing ABS with 70°C heatbed i do not need any adhesion-conditioner !
(such as Pritt-Stick, ABS in solution or PVA)

Well, anyone tested this DIY style? The 2 main chemicals I know of which dissolve silica are lye (NaOH) or hydrogen fluoride (HF) I don’t think anyone has easy access to HF so lye is the best way imho… Buy the dry stuff the NaOH pellets to unclog u’r toilet and dissolve some with water… And dump the glass in that for a amount of time… Normally the hotter the mixture is the faster it dissolves but I guess a few minutes could have some effect… Wear gloves and eye protection if u’r attempting to do this… Human tissue dissolves way faster than silica in NaOH.

Kind regards
JeAfKe

Perhaps sandblasting could do an equal job?
Would be less dangerous.

Yeah could be but I’d assume this would be really hard to do evenly across the entire glass sheet… Plus everyone doesn’t got access to a sand blaster… but it would be definitely a safer and faster method although I’d wear eye protection when sand blasting :slight_smile:

Kind regards
JeAfKe

I have seen some glass etching kits in the store but I don’t know if they work on tempered glass.
I try to keep my room warm and that seems to do the trick for me.

sandblasting will work on all types of glas (with any medium wich is harder than glas, there are a lot) but it will be more rough and not so consistent i think.

but i use standard glas, etched prefabricated. My tests with standard glas show me it’s good till aprox. 90°C, all my tested glas broke obofe that temperature (partially very dramatic ;-))

At practical work i never need more than 70°C for ABS now with the etched glas and without conditioner !

At your local glazier you get a plate of 240x215 mm etched glas for 2.- to 3.- euros, with sanded borders. (Same in Borosilicate-glas is something about 20.- euros, but not needed)

grinding is also possible !

with abrasive paper made for granite you can grind any standard glas plate (with water). i got this paper from my local “marmolista” (stonecutter)

i made a cross-grindig with 220er granularity (becomes more smooth after some minutes) and this glas plate works best of all my tests.

i also tested fine etched glas meanwhile, wich my local glazier has in stock, but this is the contrary. Nothing lasts on this, it is like the ‘lotus-effect’ (so i grinded the other side :-))