IKEA RGB lights for Vertex

I also tried this modification and made some changes to the firmware to be able to control the RGB leds via GCODE and via the LCD panel.

On the extra output connector of the board there are 3 pwm capable pins (PH3,PH4,PB6 atmel pinout or 6,7,12 for arduino pinout), so I used these to control the R G and B channels of the leds. I used logic level FETS to drive the strips.

But I am only able to get a PWM signal out of PH4 and PH3 and not out of PB6… I think that is because the timer for PB6 PWM is used by marlin but I cannot figure it out… Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

I can’t help you, but i am very thankful for your progress! my plan is to add a ws2815 based ledtrip to it. This would just need one digital IO to make each led separately addressable without needing PWM. It is the same ledstrip used by adafruit’s neopixel lib. I’m imagining great effects with separate addressable led’s !

Installed my Ikea LED strip yesterday! I went for the warm white strip and it is looking great! :slight_smile:

@graeddtarta

It look great, will do the mod this weekend with the Ikea Dioder led strips.
They are not sensitive to voltage overcapacity as I used them in the trunck of my cars.

As I have no main power in my Maggiolina I powered the leds with a 9V battery and it holds
up for 6 hours.

What’s the ordercode for these LEDstrips (both: RGB and warmwhite)? Because you have a massive choice at IKEA…

Cheers,
Dylan

[quote=“minitreintje”]What’s the ordercode for these LEDstrips (both: RGB and warmwhite)? Because you have a massive choice at IKEA…

Cheers,
Dylan[/quote]

601.165.40 For warm white
401.923.61 For RGB

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Dylan

I bought them today… They are on sale! 16,99 euro for the warm whites.

Cheers,
Dylan

Hey guys,

I wanted to by these light strips for my second K8400 printer as well but I was told by the Ikea they discontinued the “Dioder” led strip series we were using for our printers!

They do have a replacement series which is almost the same however, the light strips are a couple of cm’s shorter, contain only 6 LED’s instead of the “Dioder” which had 8 leds and… there are only 3 strips in a package…

On the up side: It looks like h60’s clips will still work on it as the plastic housing is the same (but shorter) and these new packages cost €9.99 a piece.

Some quick “math”:
The 3 strips have in total 18 led’s of 0.06 watts each, so they use 1.08 watt together.
The powerbrick can supply 3 watts, so if you connect 4 strips to one powerbrick you’ll get to 24 leds x 0.06 watts = 1.44 watts which is well within the max of 3 watts.

So far I’ve run a 4 hour test running 4 strips vs. 3 strips on 1 powerbrick, no problem! the powerbrick does not get any warmer with 4 than it did with 3 strips.

I printed a set of h60’s clips and tonight I’ll try mounting them. I really hope the shorter strips will still fit, I’ll keep you guys posted asap!

Regards,

Kees.

So it turns out that the clips by h60 do not fit afterall so I created a remixed clip to fit the 2017 6-led per strip Ledberg series.http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2311612

Also, and I didn’t notice that while testing the 4-strips on one powerbrick, the Ledberg series does not come with the short wires with connectors to connect the strips around corners. This means you’ll need to do a bit of soldering. I found that 5 cm of wire is enough to make the connection and the corner while keeping the wire out of the mechanics of the printer.

In the picture below you can see the strips installed succesfully, looking good!