HPS5 won't turn on after many years of disuse

I have an old Velleman HPS5 which I used to use in college very happily. However, I found it, replaced the old batteries with brand new duracells and it won’t respond. Batteries measure fine at 1.6V each. Tried the reset button. Nothing.

Can it die from disuse?

Can I get it repaired?

Thank you for any info

Electronics don’t go bad overnight.
There must be a cause, most likely a mechanical cause such a bad or loose contact, broken wire, batteries that do not fit the battery holder or that do not touch the battery springs etc…
However, if you cannot get it to work, you can still return the unit for inspection/repair.

Okay thanks. I can’t see anything wrong with it. Its little fuse shows 0 ohms resistance. The voltage coming in from the battery pack shows 8.1V or so. I don’t see any cracks or loose wires. Sigh. But since you’re in the EU, it’ll probably be absurd to try to send it in.

Thank you

If you are a US resident, you can return it to our US service dept. based in TX.
Please call (817) 284 7785 for an RMA#

Hi I live in Australia and have the same model unit with the same problem. I’ve tried battery and DC power supply with absolutely no response from the unit. Is there somewhere I can have it sent/take it for repair??

Cheers

Yes, you can return it to:

Velleman Projects Tech. Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium.

Please note that shipping, customs and repair cost can equal or exceed the price of e.g. the HPS140.
velleman.eu/products/view/?id=384090

This is an old thread, but I had the same problem.

I had supply voltage at the pic, but the unit would only start up once in a blue moon.

In my situation, replacing the 20Mhz crystal got the HPS5 going again.

Thanks for the info!