How to communicate with a linux (ubuntu)?

After I’ve finished the build I tried to run the first test, but the printer will not communicate with my linux-pc (tried on two machines ( the one with Ubuntu 13.04 - the other with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

So I connected it to an Win7 in a Virtual Box of one of may Ubuntu-PC’s and (after installing the FTDI-Driver) all went fine!

So why the hell the printer doesn’t communicate with my native Linux machines ?!?
The FTDI Driver pages states:

So there should be no additional driver installation necessary.
This could be confirmed by
dmesg:

dmesg | grep FTDI
[   72.484431] usb 7-1: Manufacturer: FTDI
[   72.527093] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[   72.528307] ftdi_sio 7-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[   72.531558] usb 7-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

and lsusb:

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

And in the repetier-software also there is the device /dev/ttyUSB0 available.
But connecting ends in a simple blink of a LED on the printers mainboard and than … nothing, The software stays in connected mode (no firmware announcement in the log) and the status bar says: “Connected - 5 orders waiting”.
So (again) what’s the hell is going on here, did I miss something basic and/or I’m stupid?

And please !!! don’t tell me “this printer is not developed to work with linux” !!! :wink:

Regard Bernd

which software of Repetier did you use? the 0.84? or the new one, the 0.90?

Hi

I have exactly the same problem, same configuration (Ubuntu 12.04) and yes, I use 0.84!

Any help please?

Hello,

the reason for the communication problem is not the Linux kernel, neither the device driver. The implementation of interface between mono and libc is limited to the standard baudrates.
If you use mono-2.10.18 there exists a patch which will help you to use the firmwares non standard baudrate, which is 250000.
To apply the patch you need to build Mono from the sources.

Instructions how to do this are on: github.com/repetier/Repetier-Host/issues/156

wget github.com/mono/mono/archive/mono-2-10-8.tar.gz
sudo apt-get install mono-mcs mono-gmcs libtool bison

tar -xvzf mono-2-10-8.tar.gz
cd mono-mono-2-10-8

wget -O serial.patch bugzilla.xamarin.com/attachment … format=raw
patch ./support/serial.c serial.patch

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

This will take some time and after finishing, you should have a full function repetierHost running at 250000 Baud.
Runs well on Debian-7 32 and 64Bit, Linux Mint, Ubuntu an other Debian based systems.

There is no other way, except upgrading to Mono3 using the standard firmware under Linux.

You could test your hardware, board cables etc. if you compile your customized firmware using 56700 Baud,
which should work in all circumstances. To do these, follow the instructions in the manual.

Filou

@AÄronR: tried it with both versions, the problem is the same

@filou: thank you very much for this detailed answer, I thought at all sorts of possible problemmakers but never ever about the underlaying mono, o.k. building a software from the sources is not really my favorite hobby :wink: but I will give it a try …

Regards Bernd

Success!

Build Mono from the sources following filou’s instructions and all went fine.
Just a little correction and addition:

sudo apt-get install mono-mcs mono-gmcs libtool bison
So you prevent a first unsucessfull run of autogen.sh if bison isn’t already installed.

And:
tar -xvzf mono-mono-2-10-8.tar.gz
should be
tar -xvzf mono-2-10-8.tar.gz

Regards Bernd

Many thanks for your instructions! I will give them a try as soon I’ve solved some printing issues.

Thanks for the instructions with the mono patch. Works fine using Fedora 19 :slight_smile:

Fine to hear that it works on Fedora as well.
And now it’s by the people from Velleman to add this information to the docs, were at least the german pdf states “Linux : im Bau” :wink:

We are working on this. Thanks filou for giving the clear instructions.

I have the k8200 printer and I want to install it in Ubuntu (10.4). I have Repetier v0.84, but I don’t know how to install the drivers and how to connect with the printer. Can someone help me and explain me all steps??

Thanks

Hi,

I asume you’ve alredy unpacked the reptier software and run the initial script “configureFirst.sh” ?

If so, you can follow the steps posted by “filou” in this thread (no idea if it will work on 10.04 as well but you can give it a try).

Regards Bernd

Just wanted to say, I was having exactly this isuue and the instructions above solved it nicely - I build an Ubuntu install on this laptop just to run as a K8200 server, so am very happy to have it working.

Thanks to all!!

IF the above tips fail, then its likely you need to add your linux user group to the tty groups:

sudo adduser yourusername tty

Connection is possible for repetier .84 but not for .90d.

I have tried the method proposed by @filou. It worked well for my 32 bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Unfortunately it was not possible to build mono from source with my other computer (64 bit Ubuntu 13.10). I am very grateful to @filou for the solution which made it possible to use my K8200 with it at least for one of my computers. Now I can only hope that the 250000 baudrate support will be built into future versions of mono from start so we do not need building a patched version from source. It is after all not a trivial, quick process. Perhaps Velleman can do some lobbying work for us… :slight_smile:

On Ubuntu 13.10 I get

$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr Running libtoolize... libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'. libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh' libtoolize: putting macros in `.'. libtoolize: copying file `./libtool.m4' libtoolize: copying file `./ltoptions.m4' libtoolize: copying file `./ltsugar.m4' libtoolize: copying file `./ltversion.m4' libtoolize: copying file `./lt~obsolete.m4' libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.in and libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree. Running aclocal -I . ... aclocal: warning: autoconf input should be named 'configure.ac', not 'configure.in' Running autoheader... Running automake --gnu ... automake: warning: autoconf input should be named 'configure.ac', not 'configure.in' configure.in:9: warning: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE: two- and three-arguments forms are deprecated. For more info, see: configure.in:9: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Modernize-AM_005fINIT_005fAUTOMAKE-invocation configure.in:578: warning: The 'AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' macro is deprecated, and its use is discouraged. configure.in:578: You should use the Autoconf-provided 'AC_PROG_MKDIR_P' macro instead, configure.in:578: and use '$(MKDIR_P)' instead of '$(mkdir_p)'in your Makefile.am files. configure.in:2: installing './config.guess' configure.in:2: installing './config.sub' configure.in:9: installing './install-sh' configure.in:9: installing './missing' automake: warning: autoconf input should be named 'configure.ac', not 'configure.in' ikvm-native/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') ikvm-native/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp' mono/arch/Makefile.am:3: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/alpha/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/amd64/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/arm/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/hppa/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/mips/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/ppc/Makefile.am:3: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/s390/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/s390x/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/sparc/Makefile.am:2: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/arch/x86/Makefile.am:3: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/dis/Makefile.am:1: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/interpreter/Makefile.am:1: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/io-layer/Makefile.am:4: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/metadata/Makefile.am:63: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/monograph/Makefile.am:14: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/profiler/Makefile.am:7: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/tests/Makefile.am:912: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') mono/utils/Makefile.am:3: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') runtime/Makefile.am:2: error: support for Cygnus-style trees has been removed support/Makefile.am:10: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') tools/sgen/Makefile.am:3: warning: 'INCLUDES' is the old name for 'AM_CPPFLAGS' (or '*_CPPFLAGS') **Error**: automake failed.

is there any solution?

Hi,

did you found a solution already? I have the same issue with Linuxmint (debian)…

Thank you!

Found this, but don’t know how to do this in detail (Old Version of automake) … Any idea?

github.com/repetier/Repetier-Host/issues/156

Wouldnt it be much easier to change the firmware and set it to a standard baudrate?
any reason why we shouldnt do this?

[quote=“P4man”]Wouldnt it be much easier to change the firmware and set it to a standard baudrate?
any reason why we shouldnt do this?[/quote]

From my point of view…a new firmware would make more sense. Always good to count on standards!