How do I prevent nozzle blockage

Hi,

I have some problems printing with my new vertex. The nozzle seems to block every time, trying to print benchy. I have tried the standard 210 degrees and a recommanded 185 degrees for printing the velleman pla.

Is this a settings issue? Or maybe the quality of the pla? Or maybe because the pla is kept to dry/humid?

I had a secondhand vertex before, this one had the same issue, I returned it and bought a new kit, so I was a bit dissapointed that this one has the same issues.

What is the best way to unclog the nozzle? Do I have to take the nozzle apart every single time?

Thank you!

Try the following changes

Click on the slicer tab.
Click on configuration.
On the left panel click on Extrusion
Change the following.
Retraction = 4mm
Retractions Speed = 110mm

Next click on Filament
Change Print Temp = 190C
This is a good starting point for PLA.

And also in filament, lower the flow to 75%.

Or:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWllmdEYwo

Still don’t understand why the settings mentioned above, aren’t set as standard in a firmware update?
Looks like everyone is suffering with this.

Ok, thanks all settings combined gives some great quality printing, only at 75% or so the nozzle jumped a mm to the right, but that is fixed also. Hoping to get my first complete print today.

I am printing with the second nozzle now, the first one is still clogged, eventhough I can enter it with a piece of guitar string.

What is the best way to unclog a nozzle? Do I have to take the whole thing apart?

Another Issue I have is that the stepper motor on the left keeps turning for a while when I do the autohome and the nozzle is in the corner. I guess this has something to do with an endstop that is off, but since I used the predrilled holes to mount them I am not sure how to fix this.

Thank you!

Make sure the glide bearings are not running into the pulleys

There are several ways (search this forum) to unclog the nozzle. I use this routine:

1. If you can’t pull the filament back manually, take the tube out of the tube-fitting above the printhead. You will get some space to cut the filament over there and pull it back to the extruder. Remove the tube-fitting and turn on the heater block in Cura. Wait till it reached 190-200 degrees and pull out the short remained piece of filament from the printhead. After that take 15 cm of new filament and push it through the heated nozzle till there’s a nice extrusion. If so, take out the filament, turn of the heater and assemble everything again. Load the filament as usual.

2. If you can’t push the filament through the nozzle anymore, you have to disassemble every part beneath the isolator guide. Unscrew the 2 lower screws and loosen the 4 wires that come from the heater (NB: mark the wires!).
    To get of the heater block from the nozzle I put the block in a bench vice and push a knife in the fissure to make some room to take the nozzle out. After that unscrew the nozzle from the isolator and put the nozzle upside down in the bench vice. I use a portable gas burner to heaten up the nozzle. The remains will melt out of the nozzle. Rinse the nozzle with acetone or thinner. Re-assemble everything, and so on…

Hope this will help. Good luck!

ps: I think the right retraction speed and distance Wrong Way suggested will help a lot.