How do I know if the pcb is broken, or the motor controller?

Hi,

My printer is acting real weird, cant get it to work. It has completely broken down, maybe I’ve manage to fry everything? Currently the only thing that works is the z-down axle, when I tell it to go up it suddenly wants to go down. Used to work. None of the x and y axis work, thought I fried the x axis motor controller so bought a new one and changed it. Still didn’t work and the y axis stopped after I changed. Is the entire board fried maybe? Is there any easy way to check the motor controllers? Got 3 originals and 1 k8203 type controller. The z axis end switch has stopped working as well, that’s why I guessed the entire board. I don’t think I Short circuited the pcbs when checking them, might have done it while doing something else stupid though, so I cant really say that I’ve seen any sparks or anything coming from any parts, cant see much damage at all on the board. All controllers are set to .55, tried from .45 to .55 with same results.

Do you still have communication with the board?

Yeah, well I can make the Z axis go down when I try make it go either up or down. But that should count as communication. You think I’ve fried all the motor controller boards? Exchanged one earlier with no better results, anyway I can check them individually externally, making sure no other variables like the board is in the way? Can I measure the board some how to see if its broken?

hello?

Did you change the firmware before this happened?
Did you change anything else?

I have not made any changes to the firmware, just plane vanilla. Worked good so far. It started off with the y-axis not working.Then everything turned shitways. Bought new controllers and everything but now nothing works.

Do you have a different computer to try it on?

No I don’t have any other computer, but I haven’t done anything to the pc it should be working fine. Is there some phone support or something? These answer take quite a while, kinda need my printer fixed.

hello?

Hy,
if you realy think that the PCB is broken, just send it back to Velleman, they will check and send you back the stuff within 2 weeks.

If you have a friend with a laptop you could ask them to bring it over to test it.
I don’t think this machine will work on USB 3.0

[quote=“Wrong Way”]If you have a friend with a laptop you could ask them to bring it over to test it.
I don’t think this machine will work on USB 3.0[/quote]
Yes but wouldn’t that just factor in a lot of other ways that could be failing? I would never manage to figure out if my configuration is wrong or the printer is broken etc

[quote=“Tag”]Hy,
if you realy think that the PCB is broken, just send it back to Velleman, they will check and send you back the stuff within 2 weeks.[/quote]
Yea would be an option but I really doubt it would take 2 weeks, every time I want a spare it takes 2 months, I just wanna know how to measure if its broken myself so I don’t waste 100$ on a new board.

Is there any other way to get in touch with the Velleman support than this forum? I would really like to know how to check this before I spend $100 on electronics that might not be broken…

If you try it on another computer and it works this will give you a clue to where the failure is.
You may want to try to reload the firmware use Arduino software 1.0.6 or below.
Check all of the settings in printer settings.
Correct com port (find this in device manager)
Baud Rate = 250000
Reset on connect = Disabled.

This would be a start.

Hi, I haven’t changed any of that configuration since it broke. I will try get another computer but like I say it wont matter. How do Velleman read the cards they get sent back to them? I highly doubt they switch between 2 computer too and forth.