Hot end not hot - help diagnose

Hi,

I have a second-hand Vertex with two extruders and extruder 1 (on the right, if you’re facing the printer) refuses to get hot.

The red LED that normally demonstrates that the extruder is heating does not come on.

It’s not sending any errors.

I thought it might be refusing to work because of a busted thermistor and no accurate temperature reading, but it seems to be reporting the temperature correctly - I blew some hot air over it with my heat gun and it reported the temperature increasing.

Everything appears to be wired up correctly; it spontaneously stopped working overnight after being totally usable.

Extruder 2 works fine.

Can anyone suggest next steps to diagnose the issue? Does the LED only come on if the heating element is OK?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

First check if the corresponding red LED is switching on on the motherboard. If it is there must be a break between the mother board and the heater block. If not then the mother board is faulty.
You can check the heating element with a multimeter. Its resistance is about 8 Ohms.

[quote=“raby”]Hi,

First check if the corresponding red LED is switching on on the motherboard. If it is there must be a break between the mother board and the heater block. If not then the mother board is faulty.
You can check the heating element with a multimeter. Its resistance is about 8 Ohms.[/quote]

Hey, I haven’t had time to act on your good advice until today - I’m back up and running. Thanks for the tips!

I have the same/similar problem. The wide connector on the printHead is burnt on pin4 (purple wire) of Heater1.
I found the schematic for the motherboard.

Questions: Where can I find;

1. wire diagram of the printHead circuit board?
  2. parts list for the motherboard?

Once I know what I’m looking at I can come up with a fix

ByTheWay: I was unable to select Extr2 and print using 1.6.2.
The output simply defaults to Extr1.
I worked around ther issue by editing the gcode. Inserted new line containing ‘T1’ after the first move (line 3), save, and that causes the the printer to toggle/use the other extruder.

Thanks in advance

I found several posts on ‘burned connector’ and found data needed toe evaluate/fix

See: Print head board (K8400)
printhead board schematic

See: Motherboard Parts List
dropbox.com/s/mw4wnigdc6s8m … c.pdf?dl=0 (not mine)

Much thanks to these posts