Heatbed Termistor Install K8200

Hi, new to the Forum. I can’t solder the thermistor on to the pads to save my life. Is there a heat bed that has the thermistor already attached that I can purchase?

Why “can’t” you?
What is the problem?

I screwed up, I put flux on the pads and the solder will not go onto the pads and thermistor. the solder just stays on the iron. I made a mess with the flux, I can’t get it off the pcb. I haven’t soldered in over 20 years.

What kind of “flux” did you use?
Normally flux for electronic soldering should almost suck the solder to the pads.

Or did you use flux for pipe soldering?
Didn’t you use electronic solder?

I didn’t take notice on what kind, just assumed it was what I needed being that I purchased from Radio Shack.

Well, i think it should be right then.
As long as radio shack didn’t start selling plumbing accessoires … :wink:

Try cleaning the pcb up with alcohol and the retry soldering the resistor in place.
(can you post a pic of your heatbed pcb please?)

Ok, when I get home from work.

how do I add a photo?

you have to upload the picture to a picture hosting service or dropbox and post a link enclosed in “img” tags.

onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci … umb&type=1

Seems, ondrive links don’t work directly. Was that a sharing link?

Anyway, looks pretty much burned up.
Clean it with alcohol and use electronic solder with embedded flux. That should work.

ok, I’ll give it a go over the weekend, thanks again.

Can I use a non Surface Mounted thermistor with the same specs or a different heat bed? Please recommend. There is no copper on the pads that’s why it won’t adhere.

Oops!
The you burned off the solder pads.
You can try to solder a 100K thermistor to the traces then (also an axial wired type like the one used in the hotend)

Thanks, going back at it this weekend.

A general rule to solder smd parts:

First add solder on one pad.
Then add the smd part and heat up again the solder and you will see that it crawls towards the smd side.
Check at that time also that it’s correctly aligned, if not, fix it at that moment.

let it cool.

Now add some solder on the other side and : done.

if you solder still with lead solder: no flux needed.
Lead-less solder: flux needed.