Geared Z

I find many many Z axle mods, but not one like my idea.
I’m just testing the parts I made. The up moves seems very smooth, down not that much smooth, but that is irelevant…
I think there will be needed just one more 608 bearing (when you are buying it look for some smaller to make belt tension pulleys) and maybe a little longer threaded rod (M8). Other parts are easy printable. And no firmware editing needed!
What I have now is this:
(Image may not load after some time)
It has one BIG bug right now… Yes the microswitch… :smiley:
When/if it will work good, I will put it on thingverse.

What do you think is the advantage of the geared drive?

Changing to a trapezoidal screw in stead of metric will improve it.
I don’t see the advantage of the gears either, especially with self-printed gears, which will be very rough i suppose.

[quote=“hbzandbergen”]Changing to a trapezoidal screw in stead of metric will improve it.
I don’t see the advantage of the gears either, especially with self-printed gears, which will be very rough i suppose.[/quote]

The tapezoidal leadscrew kit fom Velleman IS metric too.
The thread shape has nothing to do with metric or imperial.

But i agree fully : a leadscrew will run much more smooth and consistent.
Whereas i found out a 2 leadscrew z axis design (one each side of the extruder arm) works a lot better than one.

The advatage is the rod is stretched on 2 bearings up and down and there is no shaking because not prefect connection of step motor and rod…

Well, the thread shape is called “metric” (M8/M10/M12 etc) or “trapezoidal” (Tr8x2/Tr10x3)
(among many others types of course)

This is another difference than metric vs. imperial (mm vs. inches)

Today I finally print another set of extruder gears which looks pretty bad now looks mutch better! I need to print another set of Z gears and make stronger motor bracket and it will be even better for sure! :slight_smile: Not bad for a something around 3€ mod isn’t it?

So I put this idea of this mod in my school project and this mean it is now officialy my copyright. I told about this mod to my K8200 dealer and he likes this idea and might want pay for use this mod… So sorry no free download for this mod…

It’s ok, keep it for your business.

But please, next time, dont open a new topic for your advertising or business, here it’s a SHARING and HELPING forum.

So long

I hope he won’t sell printed gears, i don’t see any longterm quality in it…

R O T F L

Have a look here:
copyrightuser.org/topics/faqs/

I don’t know if copyright is right word… I make official documentation of this main idea and an example of using it and by local rules it means it can’t be used by someone else without my permission.

When I started this topic it was meant to be free… But you know… money…

I don’t worry much about how long will printed gears live on Z axle, because there is not much movement.

[quote=“Gamer_Mechanic”]I don’t know if copyright is right word… I make official documentation of this main idea and an example of using it and by local rules it means it can’t be used by someone else without my permission.

When I started this topic it was meant to be free… But you know… money…

I don’t worry much about how long will printed gears live on Z axle, because there is not much movement.[/quote]

1:
Unless you make a mold to produce the gears, quality of printed gears will be bad.
I don’t know what you’re printing, but my Z-axis is moving a lot…

2:
Your attitude will not give you much ‘customers’

Hy,

I suggest Velleman moderators to delete this post because here it’s your business and not a third part advertising forum for a useless and not improved mod.

Right ? It’s just my opinion coz I like this sharing and helpful forum first of all :wink:

+1

This section is named: Your printer, creations, and ideas for improvements. This topic started as idea for improvement and turned into on my printer working mod. There I just change my mind about sharing this mod for free… that is all.
Can you show me why is it not working mod? And can you show me where is the advertising in this topic?

Right you are !

I’m used to read real generous and usefull and sharing ideas posts in this forum since more than one year, then maybe I was surprised to read your post for business for not improved mod, that’s all.

Sorry to be wrong in this topic subject.

Just check the forum a little bit more, and you will see all very very very good mods are given for free from users.

Just know that I’ll never reply to this post anymore.
Good luck

Your idea is just one of many other ideas of improving Z-movement of the K8200 on this forum.
What do you expect, that people will kindly ask your permission to use this? It’s all described!

That is board cover print (probably PLA) on the original Z setup:

And here is my “useless” and “opportunist” /sarcasm/ mod board cover print (ABS, I need better repetier tuning…):

(Sorry for the usb cable in middle of photo but I don’t get paid for making good photos /sarcasm/)
I keep improving bracket and gears… With the manual control I checked that 0,01mm is just around 0,07mm of travel on full one teeth movement so 0.5mm deformation on gears will face on some lets say 0.007mm imperfection. This will slowly disappear with worning out the print imperfections and a good gearse will keep it in working condition…