Funktion generator HPG1 - output level fluctuates strongly

I would like to know why the output level independent of the choosen waveform fluctuates between 16Hz and 120Hz so strongly. For example, if I don’t connect the function generator HPG1 to any device, set the frequency to 1Hz and the output level to its maximum of about 2.70Vrms, the output level is stable. If than the frequency is changed to 32Hz, without changing the output level, the value of the output level shown on the display of the HPG1 fluctuates between 2.56Vrms and 1.64Vrms. I also tied connecting the HPG1 to a measurment device (an A107 modul from Gantner) of ours and plotted the actual output level at 32Hz. Its fairly stable but the display doesn’t show it.

Is the function generator broken or do I need observe some rules when connecting the function generator, like having a certain load
resistance?
It would be nice to get a comprehensible answer since I am not an expert in the electronic area.
Tanks,
D. Vogel

Can you please let us know your firmware version (Build xxxx, bottom right corner on splash screen).

The splash screen shows the firmware version build 1134.

There have been updates since then.
One update also reduces this fluctuation at low frequencies.

If desired, you can return your unit for a firmware update to:

Velleman Projects Tech. dept.
Legen heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium

Make sure to include a note that clearly states that you want a firmware update.

Does the update you speak of reduce the fluctuation in such a way that the output level is about as stable as when setting the device to frequencies lower than 10Hz? As I discribed above are the fluctuation not minor but render the HGP1 more or less useless in an area of 16Hz to 120Hz. Furthermore I would like to know if it is possible to update the fimeware oneself and if it entails any costs to return the HPG1 to you for a fimeware update.

Yes, it will be more or less equally stable.
Unfortunately, the unit is not user servicable, so it will have to be returned for the upgrade.
We do not charge for the upgrade itself, however, you will be charged for the return shipping charges.

Hello,

Could you please tell me what is the actual firmware build version of HPG1?
Due to the expensive firmware update costs I would like to buy a unit with the most recent firmware possible.

Thank you very much in advance.

Current firmware version is 1406.

Thanks,
Do you have an idea where I can buy a unit with this version in Europe, online store?

Best regards

Sorry, we do not have the means to check availability and firmware version from items that are in our distributors warehouses.
Please note that the latest firmware is not mandatory. It is only necessary if you are going to use very low frequencies (<10).
Even then the output is not affected, there is only a slight instability of the readout.
We offer firmware updates at no cost (only shipping and handling is charged).

Thanks again,
I appreciate your support

[quote=“VEL417”]Sorry, we do not have the means to check availability and firmware version from items that are in our distributors warehouses.
Please note that the latest firmware is not mandatory. It is only necessary if you are going to use very low frequencies (<10).
Even then the output is not affected, there is only a slight instability of the readout.
We offer firmware updates at no cost (only shipping and handling is charged).[/quote]

We bought HPG1 generator from a local reseller just last week.
I can look that the firmware build is 1134.
We have the possibility of programming dspic33 because we are manifacturer of equipment that uses dspic33fj… and we have the pic programmer.
Can you send us the most recent firmware? Is necessary remake the tuning of the hpg1 after the upgrade?
Best Regards

Sorry, the HPG1 is not an open source device, so we cannot supply the firmware.
Also, calibration is performed using custom tools, so you will have to return unit for update.