Fume filtration system

Good morning everyone

I have been considering starting a project to make a fume filtration system for the printer. I started a while back to make the parts for Emil H’s Hood enclosure and fenders back cover. With a bunch of modifications to them.

And i have come to the point of starting to considering the consept of a fume handeling system. Do anyone have any experiense of it and do anyone have any ideas?

Im considering a 3 layer system with a active carbon filter, a hepa filter and a pre filter with a reversed fan or something simular or maybe something a litle more powerful.

// Marlark

Just an idea.
Buy a Tesla Model X and hook the vertex to the tesla’s HEPA filter system and enable the bioweapon defense feauture
That should do the trick =)

In all seriousness i’m curious in your design. Cause the smell and the fine dust can’t be that healthy.

Hehe if i could afford a Tesla shure but then i would rather use nasa’s carbon filter system from apollo 13 atleast it is possible to get a round hole to fit a square one with it. Serius DIY there :wink:

I have been looking around on thingiverse and industry systems for this and it doesnt look that complicated “knock on wood!!!” or as move clever people then me say it … How hard can it be :wink:

Y the fumes is not very healthy there is 2 things that you have to look for HCN (Hydrogen Cyanide) and the other one is the micro particles. However for the most HCN isnt a incredibly huge problem because the omitions is about 1/3’d of what most safe limits from the athorities say. But on the other hand what is true today is not tomorrow :wink:

The other one is ultra fine particles as the eggheads call it or UFP there is a article on that subject here

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231013005086

However it is fairly easy to remove the problem with a filter system apparently.

// Marlark

I think the printer has to much holes to seal individually. For example a printer like the Swedish ZYYX (http://www.zyyx3dprinter.com/store/#3dprinter) has a closed housing already and a carbon filtre. And given the fact that the printer also makes lots of noise, I think it’s best to make a large fume hood around the entire printer. Perspex would be great of course, maybe with a hinged front and top. Or to stabilize the frame you could use wooden plate material for rear and sides also to mount the hinges easily. That’s what I was thinking about…

Since I work at a car part manufacturing and assembly factory I see a lot of filtration systems :smiley:

From what I’ve read about HCN ( 5 minutes googled stuff :smiley: ) a small exhaustion system with an activated carbon filter should do the trick.

Ideia 1:
Cover the top of printer as example given by svn. All the fumes are cleared this way. From what they say at their filters change period, I’m pretty sure its an activated Carbon Filter. One problem whould be the noise it would make. Even using several small fans the noise might get a bit high ( if printer in a quiet ambient ).

Ideia 2:
Set an exhaustion system in the printhead. Less noise from fans but only a fair percentage of the fumes will be captured.

Activated Carbon Filter chart

Actually the same guys do have this:
3D Printer filter system

I wonder if it would be possible to adapt a solder fume extraction system to mount on a 3D printer head? I’m thinking of the kind where there is a small tube which attaches to the soldering iron, connected to an external pump/filter. Although those don’t tend to be especially affordable.

I’m currently making do with a benchtop fume extractor on an anglepoise-type arm which I position over the top of the printer, but it’s loud and not that efficient since it has to be fair distance from the print head to allow for the cables and filament tubes.

I have been looking on this one in the UK that looks interesting.

bofa.co.uk/productDetails.asp?pid=120

// Marlark

Have you thought on the amount of heat that any of the exhaust systems will remove from prints?

I did think on it considering the bofa system is refeeding the same air back into the printer again after filtration wish is interesting in a sense if the air retain some of it’s heat. What it have as effect i think only trial by error will show. But it is a interesting consept i think instead of throwing the air out into the room or out the window.

The question is if i should be lazy and try get one from bofa and design some type of access for it to the printer or completly design my own solution.

// Marlark

I thought of something like that. A closed cabinet with refeeding same air or even heating it up with some sort of heater. Man the power consuption of that thing…lol

Well…if I had the space and resources I’d do one from scratch applying that principle I think.
Since I dont have the space…I’ll follow your work

A fairly closed cabinet i have solved. I have printed all the parts for it and is atm cutting some acrylic plastic i remixed Emil H 's top solution and removed all his bolts in his solution and added hinges to the top making a lid so i can open it from the top stil. I also did fenders original solution for a back cover plugging that side. Erly on i made a door for the printer that Tomas Kruger designed. and my bottom hole is plugged by a PSU so there is going to be fairly litle leakage but stil access by new air to it. I dont think it is good to have a air sealed box so to say. Then add the fume filtration solution when i got that solved some way. I will probably make my own i think and maybe as a developing brain halleluja moment will arrive down the road. Who knows :wink:

// Marlark

Hello guys,

I made a trial during the summer on a filter system, but have not upload anything so far as it is not a finished solution but now I want to share it as an inspiration for your continious work.
It has only a Hepafilter for filtration and I do agree to that a carbon filter is needed to handle the smell which still is there now.
Anyhow I can already feel the difference but have not any data for you.

Some pictures below. The flow is from top trough the tubing and returns in the bottom.
Flow from fan is 49l/sec.

I have been thinking about to make an extra perforeated ceiling inside the top of the “Emil hood enclosure” to avoid disturbance from the fan. Have done a smoke test and noticed that as the present positioning of the fan is not optimal.

If you want I can upload files and parts data at Thingiverse.
Good luck and I am looking forward to your upcoming solution, Marlark!

Reg.
fender

http://imgur.com/a/9vGId

Nice Fender

That is very much down the road i was aiming for also in my case i was considering to put the top fan and so on the back side of the case above the Z axis somewhere over your solution for covering the back but i am thinking on doing a small remix of that one sins your is opening upward to open the cover i had an idea of letting the back acrylic to just be sitting with neodyne magnets. in simular fashion like i have done with the heatbed frame i made. also sins i have 2 PSU’s i was thinking on making the access with the return air as a sort of bracket for the PSU so the PSU is fastened together with the return air and i was also thinking on putting in a microfilter there the same thing you use for vacume machines toward the engine.

I have found in a local store here a hepa filter for a vacume that is for a siemens univeral that is 100x100mm and i have a G3 filter blanket from my house Nibe fighter and the active carbon i think i can use the same type of matt that they use for kitchen fan’s that way i think i have solved pritty much everything in terms of that. The fan i found in a old PC project i had where i was trying to make it quiet with a water cooling system and to that there is a Zalman ultra quiet fan 92mm that is quiet as hell and the flow should be enouph for this. Originaly made for a water conservatory tower but i think it will work. The good thing here is that everything exept the Hepa is possible to just be replaced by cutting out from universaly found materials. The hepa thow is not but it is a very practical solution for this that siemens have there.

Im wondering thow how many sheets of active carbon i am going to need thow if 1 is enouph or if i am going to need to ramp it up with a couple of layers. I have seen those that have made simular things that they have put up to 8 layers of the stuff. But im wondering if that isnt a little overkill.

// Marlark

Hi Marlark,

I chose a bigger filter (also for vacuum cleaner) just because I wanted to minimize the pressure fall which there really is very much in a hepa design so I think that is what will set the limit for how many layers of carbon filters you will be able to use unless there is not need for an extra support fan placed in between hepa and carbon filter.

/fender

Hmm didnt think of that. I did however find a rdy made filter that have all 3 filter types in the same filter box. Wilfa manufacture a air purifier machine that uses a filter that have all the filters in a replacement box. But it is a little large 27cm x 26cm x 2,5cm however it might be a good thing to maybe use that size due to saturation of the filter over time and the pressure fall. The filter takes down to 0,001 mm particles apparently. Another thing is the price for it is not extreme comparing to buying 3 different products.