Firmware changes after installing the E3D v6 extruder -k8200

Hi,

Yesterday i’ve finally installed the E3D v6 hotend that i had for half a year now. Everything is connected according to the instructions from their site, so i think the problem might be software related. When i let the hot end heat up to 190°C it starts heating up really fast, but from around 177 it takes a very long time to reach the 190°C. Since i read that this extruder should heat a lot faster than the stock one it seems to me that something isn’t right. Also, when it finally reached 190°C i tried to turn the gear to push out some filament. A little bit came out (about half a centimeter) then it stopped, and now i can seem to extrude any material, the ribbed bolt just carves a groove into the filament.

Everything i found that needed to be changed in the firmware seemed to be ok. I’ve looked for all the lines that were in the guide on e3d’s site and everything that i searched fore was allready set up like that in the firmware. (unless you need to do something to activate certain parts of the firmware?)

I also read something about PID tuning, i’m still reading up on it but for now i don’t have a clue how to start with that either. Anyone any ideas what the problem might be ?

Thanks in advance

Settings:

Slicer settings: none (still just trying to extrude a bit of filament)

Printer:

k8200 with the e3d v6 upgrade, i didn’t use the stock fan (30mm) but ordered 2 x 40mm noctua’s to keep the noise down. (one for the heatsink, one for the print)

I’m trying to extrude black PLA from velleman.

Are you saying that you didn’t make any firmware changes when you installed the E3D? This is probably not correct.

From the symptoms you describe, the calibration is not correct for whatever thermistor/thermocouple you are using with the E3D. As a result, the printer is probably misinterpreting the temperature signal and it is not really as hot as the controller thinks it is.

I have not used an E3D, so I don’t have details about what to change, but you probably need to look at Configuration.h and the Thermistor Type that is defined for your extruder. Make sure this matches the recommendation from the E3D docs.

You may eventually need to perform a PID recalibration, but don’t waste your time until you first make sure the extruder is as hot as the controller is measuring.

I indeed didn’t make any firmware changes. The e3d thermistor is a 100K Semitec 104GT2 NTC thermistor which is number 5 in the firmware, which is de default for the k8200.

I now soldered the original heater cardridge back in and even now it’s only getting up to 105°C

I have the E3D V6 and had no issues. Did you get the 24 volt heater cartridge version by mistake?

Have you done a PID calibration?

Made a big difference for me, from what ive read, original velleman hotend is 15v but the E3D is 12v…
I went from Velleman PSU to a PC ATX PSU so had to change settings accordingly…
Check this page…
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10915

[quote=“PhaZEtwO”]Have you done a PID calibration?

Made a big difference for me, from what ive read, original velleman hotend is 15v but the E3D is 12v…
I went from Velleman PSU to a PC ATX PSU so had to change settings accordingly…
Check this page…
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10915[/quote]

I did when i was trying to fix this issue a few months ago. That didn’t make a difference. Now i’ve soldered the original velleman heating element back on, and with this one i have the same issue, it only get’s up to 100°C. I bought a tool for my multimeter to check if the temps repetier is displaying are correct, and they seem to be very accurate. Something must be wrong software wise i guess because something is preventing the hotend from going over 100°C. Allthough i tried installing the original marlin file without any changes, and i keep having this issue.

I’m now checking if i changed anything in repetier itself but the problems started exact at the point when i installed the E3D hotend so it must’ve something to do with that, and i don’t remember changing anything for it in repetier. But since i can’t find any other problems i’m still checking, just to make sure.

I soldered the original heater block back in place and i didn’t tape the soldering joints of yet. Is it possible to measure the current at these points just before the actual heater element to see if it gets enough current? And how much current should it be getting ?

I’ve found the original problem. Now i got the heater cardridge to heat up to the required temperatures. The problem i have now is that the extruder doesn’t reach the desired temperatures when the fan that comes with it is at 100% (it gets up to around 130-134°C). When i lower the fan speed the temperature increases but it only goes to 170°C with the fan on 30% and then the adapter that i printed starts to get squishy.

Any Thoughts?

Maybe the extruder is getting hotter than you think? If you changed the thermistor/thermocouple setup on the printer, make sure the firmware knows about it.

Is your “squishy” adapter printed in PLA? It could help to reprint it in ABS or something with a higher melting point.

It is printed in PLA, but the first one i used was in colorfabb HT, which is ment to have a better resistance to high temperatures. So without the fan on it i can reach printing temperatures, but even if the fan is only on 30% the extruder still heats up to only 145°C, so since on the E3D site it saids that the fan should be on at all times, i figured the extruder should be able to reach those temperatures with the fan on 100% no? Maybe it’s because of the fact that the adaptor from thingiverse is not enclosing the heatsink as much and maybe the fan blows too much air over the top of the extruder block. But in this case, other users who put in on the k8200 should’ve noticed a similar problem.

I checkt the temperatures with a multimeter so they are correct.