Filament comes out lumpy

I have just resuscitated my K8200. The PLA filament is now a few years old in case that makes any difference. At first – anyway – the filament comes out with small black blobs in it instead of a steady stream of nearly transparent material. Can anyone suggest the cause and cure?

Also, is it normally necessary to use tape or glue on the bed?

Hi!

Check if the nozzles isn’t clogged.
As for the bed, it isn’t necessary but they will not do wrong :slight_smile:

had the same problem after letting my k8200 collect dust for a few months well redoing my workshop.
like vel337 said check for clogging, thats what happend in my case.

I’m wondering how to clear possible clogging. Another beginner’s problem. My printer is now printing but the first layers are almost invisible. They are clear. Is that normal?

Hi Alf,

No this is not normal.
You need to recalibrate the Z axis.
You nozzle it to close to the bed.
Most of the time I will wait with my printer and when it starts printing I will manually adjust the Z axis height by turning the lead screw until it starts putting the layer down the way I want it

When it comes to clogging i start by trying the free the nozzles path by heating it and inserting a needle that is the size of the hole in the nozzle. If that doesnt help its disassamble time.

But im just trying things and if the work great of they dont well ****

If the nozzle is clogging, or if it has old carbon deposits in it then it will feed in lumps and, as the carbon deposits loosen, you’ll get black blobs in the print.

[Solution]

1. very slighly loosen the nozzle from the heat block.
  2. use the printer to heat the nozzle to 200 degrees
  3. using gloves, take the nozzle off, and using a large needle clean out any pla/abs from inside the nozzle.

You’ll find that, as the nozzle starts to cool any material in the nozzle will begin to solidify but just keep gently picking with a needle and it will come out. (Be careful not to damage the tip of the nozzle!).

If necessary, put the nozzle back on, re-heat it, take it back off and carry on clening out the inside.

Lastly, a little wire wool can be used to clean any burnt material from the outside of the nozzle and a freezer bag twist tie is the perfect size to poke through the nozzle to clean it out.

Once clean, put the nozzle back on and happy printing! :slight_smile: