External supply and ICSP

Good day,
I am quite new in the PIC programmation. I just bought the EDU10 kit.
Everything works fine with the provided PIC but I now need to program a PIC16F84A which has a 18 pins.

If I understand correctely, I need to use The ICSP connector to connect the 5 pins on the correct IC pins (I found the pinout for the PIC16F84A on the internet).

Here are my question :

1. I understand that I need an external supply (+12V) for programming my PIC. Is it correct? If yes, should I use the green screw connector of the EDU10 for that?
  2. what is the ICSP connector that I need to use on the EDU10 board? The one on the bottom of the board (in-line with the USB port) or the one on the right side?
  3. Should I still use the USB port to program the PIC with an external +12V power supply?

Hello there !

1: No, the EDU-10 programmer generates it’s own on-bord VPP-voltage.

2: It’s the 5-pin angled male-connector at the bottom-left, USB and display pointing upwards.

3: You should under no circumstances apply 12 volts to anything.

4: The green connector is meant for powering the experiment bord, in case you want to separate

the programmer from it. ( Snip off the 5 small wire-connectors, before you break the two sections

apart).

After this, you are still able to program the '882 by simply sticking the male-connector in the female

counterpart, in an upright position. In this case, don’t apply any voltage to the green screw-
connector, the programmer delivers all what’s neccessary, and we must avoid to disturb/destroy

the programmer !

You should use a regulated voltage of no more than 5,5 volts ( preferably 5,0 volts ).

Note the ±sign nearest to the display.

If you wish to keep the two sections assemled, allways remember to remove the 16F882 ? from the

socket, in order to avoid any disturbances, when programming the 16F84A !

Brushless.

Thanks for your quick answer Brushless 333.
Very usefull.

I will try the programmation as soon as I get some extra material (DIL socket, board) from my electronic provider.