Error reading STL file - Repetier host

Hello, I didn’t know where to put this but I’ll try here; Since I got my printer a few months back I have started making my own models in google sketchup and exporting them to stl making sure they are correct before doing so. ( I’m aware of the " glitch " if faces are switched incorrectly and then the stl file will become hollow instead )

I’ve tried multiple models and every time I load it into Repetier host I get this error:

I have found one solution and that is if I scale up the model say x10 in sketchup and then export it. Then Repetier host will accept the file and I then have to scale it down again, but that’s a hassle and I’d like it to work straight away… anyone got some clues on what could be causing this?

I saw this error when a downloaded stl file had failed to fully download. There was no indication the file was corrupt, except for this error message. You could try loading the stl in meshmixer and re-exporting it - meshmixer generally does a good job at repairing files that are not watertight, etc.

Good suggestion, sadly I get an error loading it onto meshmixer.

I’ve been in contact with repetier host support asking if they knew what could cause it, they wanted to try with my files and I sent over my sketchup file and my exported stl file. He confirms that my stl file is broken and when he goes to export the file it works just fine, either I’m doing something wrong with exporting the stl or the stl extention is broken, but I’d doubt that.

[quote=“henkekalmar”]Good suggestion, sadly I get an error loading it onto meshmixer.

I’ve been in contact with repetier host support asking if they knew what could cause it, they wanted to try with my files and I sent over my sketchup file and my exported stl file. He confirms that my stl file is broken and when he goes to export the file it works just fine, either I’m doing something wrong with exporting the stl or the stl extention is broken, but I’d doubt that.[/quote]
I feel for your pain, lack of support is the one issue with SketchUp that put me off (that plus Google sold it on to a third party I’d never heard of).

You could try redesigning the part in something like OnShape - I use it and really love it, never had an issue with any project, it’s free for upto 5 projects (active, you can as many unactive as you like) and so far seems pretty bombproof. Definitely my first choice of CAD tool for now and probably the future too.

I’ll just chime in to say Autodesk’s freeware 123D Design is also a good alternative to Sketchup. I started with Sketchup and moved to 123D Design when I got tired of being unable to make simple spheres. :slight_smile:

I changed up the plugin I used to create an stl and seems to work now, but before I tried that I started using 123D design and I have to say it’s a pretty great software, just gotta get used to it :P.