Erratic print

I’m trying my first prints- the first layer appears to be a thin film- is that correct or do I need to raise the nozzle a fraction? I have used a feeler gauge to set the gap to about 10 thou. The pattern looks OK, but then once the second layer is underway, the print path goes nuts and prints outside of the pattern, even off the platen. Any ideas?

The nozzle distance should be arount 0.1 to 0.2mm for the first layer.
So from your writing it is likely too small.

It’s about that, but I will ease it further- any idea about the erratic print path?

Thanks,

Andrew

Well, could you explain that a little further?
Otherwise it will be like looking into the glass sphere …

Could you post pictures of the print?

Since this is a new build, make sure your motor wiring is correct and not coming loose during the print. Did the motors all work in both directions when you tested everything in the printer control console of Repetier?

Also be sure that you used the 1.0.6 version of the Arduino IDE/SDK to build your firmware. Apparently there is a bug when newer versions of the IDE are used. This would cause erratic motor behavior.

Thanks for the advice everyone. In reply, how do I check and if needed update the firmware? I can see the Repetier version (host 1.6.0) but don’t know about the firmware- or does installing the Repetier take care of that?

I would like to post an image of my last failed print but can’t work out how…

All sorted- I had misread my old analogue multi meter and I had set the voltage too high on each motor- note to self- replace my broken digital meter!