Controller Board Replacement with RAMPS 1.4

Dear friends,

I will really be appreciated if you help me about replacement of controller board with RAMPS 1.4 and Arduino Mega together. I want to do this prelacement because it will be really costly if I buy original one.

I want to purchase this one:
http://www.robotistan.com/reprap-ramps-14-3d-printer-kontrol-karti

And technical details for this parts is given in the website below:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4

Can you please guide me about replacement of this. This guidance should be like " RAMPs replacement for dummies" because I do not know anything about electronics :frowning:
First question from side is that “is it applicable, and can dummy do this replacement?”

Best regards,

The RAMPS board with an Arduino MEGA can be used in place of the original Velleman controller fairly easily. I cover a lot of the details in my post about converting my printer for dual extruders.

[viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16560](http://forum.velleman.eu/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16560)

If you are using a single extruder then the fan can be driven off of the third heater output, as is done on the original Velleman controller. The only part I haven’t figured out yet is how to wire up the K8201 stand-alone LCD display and SD card reader unit to the Arduino.

This wiring diagram may help you. I think you can connect the extruder cooling fan to the D9 heater output of the RAMPs. Ignore the extra motor on the Z axis.

You will also need to be comfortable making slight modifications to the Marlin project files to build firmware for your board. You might be able to use a Velleman firmware image, but I found it best to start over using the latest Marlin code branch. You can follow my instructions in the other post; just ignore the settings for dual extruders.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

[quote=“Dr. Vegetable”]The RAMPS board with an Arduino MEGA can be used in place of the original Velleman controller fairly easily. I cover a lot of the details in my post about converting my printer for dual extruders.

[viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16560](http://forum.velleman.eu/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16560)

If you are using a single extruder then the fan can be driven off of the third heater output, as is done on the original Velleman controller. The only part I haven’t figured out yet is how to wire up the K8201 stand-alone LCD display and SD card reader unit to the Arduino.

This wiring diagram may help you. I think you can connect the extruder cooling fan to the D9 heater output of the RAMPs. Ignore the extra motor on the Z axis.

You will also need to be comfortable making slight modifications to the Marlin project files to build firmware for your board. You might be able to use a Velleman firmware image, but I found it best to start over using the latest Marlin code branch. You can follow my instructions in the other post; just ignore the settings for dual extruders.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out![/quote]

Friend,

I think I can not use the motor cables as it is. I must chage some pin connections, right?

For existing motor cables, cables are connected like below:

In order to get connection as you shown I must change connection of cables to connector, right? Because if I dont change the cable red and blue cables of motors will be switched.

regards,

regards,

I am not sure if this matters. I think this will reverse the polarity of one of the coils, and might affect the direction of rotation of the stepper, but everything should still work. I don’t recall making any special wiring changes when I built mine.

But if you have any concerns, changing the wires to match the diagram will be the safest path.

The statement of reconnecting the motor is right. RAMPS has diffrent connectors, and I believe the inner cables should be reversed but please check the schematics.

Same as for the engines, Velleman changed the pin layout of the lcd controller. I would recommend ordering some cheap lcd controller from ebay with RAMPS support.