Connecting to PC Problems K8048

I have my K8048 connected to my old XP PC through a serial port. But for the life of me I can’t get it to connect. I tried COM 1, then COM 2. but nothing. is there something that I have missed? any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Are you using a straight through cable NOT a cross over.
The power supply should be a non regulated 12 volt or regulated 15 volt DC power supply.
Is the serial cable plugged fully in to the board?
Are you using a native serial port?

I have a number of serial cables that I used for modems, and UPS they are all old, could this be the problem? Also I am using the Velleman adjustable AC adapter it goes from 3vold to 12volt, I am using it on 12 volt.

You need to check the output on the 12 volt setting.
If it’s adjustable I would think it’s regulated meaning you are just getting 12 volts.
The K8048 requires 15 volts.

What kind of error are you getting?

I am nheot not at work now that is where I have the K8048 and the XP PC, but the message was something like no velleman programmer is found. Under the hardware settings it showed up on COM 1 and then I changed the settings in the BIOS and it then showed up on COM 2 where it is now. But when I hit any of the programming buttons it shows the error message no programmer found.

Make sure cable is straight, not crossed (not a null-modem cable).
Can you supply links to sharp and hi-res pics of your assembly (both solder- and componentside)?
Maybe we can spot an assembly issue.

Here are some pictures of the board and the cable, Please ignore the IC 2 socket I installed it backwards and had to remove it. Please let me know if this is the correct cable.

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 … =folder%2c

Sorry, we cannot tell if the cable is ok by looking at the connector.
A correct cable has two connectors of a different gender, but still, we recommend to measure the pins.
Soldering looks more or less OK, however it is difficult to spot a possible problem due to the low resolution.