Chapter 003 - ALUMINIUM PROFILE

Hi All,

Stuck on page 25 of ‘003 – ASSEMBLING BASE FRAME.pdf’. After setting up the 4mm gap and fitting the 3 (two on the right, one on the left) square nuts, the fourth peice of the aluminium profile is not flush, nowhere near flush. The manual states ‘If the ALUMINIUM PROFILE is flush with the rest of the frame you can tighten all the bolts of the ANGULAR MOUNTS.’ but it doesn’t say what to do/check if it’s not!

I have assembled everything up to this point exactly as detailed in the instructions and I could force the fourth piece to be flush but I wouldn’t have the 4mm gap and things would not be square.

Is this a known issue? Anybody any ideas what, if anything, I might have done wrong?

Obviously others have had no problem assembling this and I’m no numpty so something is amiss. With only one square nut on the RH side things might work but I guess the second nut is needed somewhere along the line.

Any pointers appreciated.

I’m not happy with this piece of junk.

As nobody was able to help I’ll follow up my own post, just in case it helps somebody else.

Essentially, the assembly manual (k8200.eu/manual/building/) is inorrect. ‘003 - Assembling the base frame’ page 20 shows the X Carriage completely inserted into the frame before it tells the builder to insert the 3 square nuts. Having read further into the build istructions, it can be gleaned from chapter 5 that these nuts should be inserted inbetween the two 450mm rods, not after them.

The above will no doubt seem obvious to those who have already built the thing but to those steadfastly following the manual (as is stressed in numerous places) it may not be so obvious.

Thank you for posting this.
I got bit by the same issue.

Just a guess :

Did you put the right lengths of profiles in the right places?
Some are a little smaller than the others.

Can you maybe post a pictur of your problem?

Just a guess, but I had to hand file most of the connector pieces. They look like they were removed from the mold too soon and then they sagged. When I built mine, just connecting the base frame it was painfull obvious that it was not true! Velleman support will send you some new ones.

Thanks for raising this issue. I was stuck for some time until I realized sth was wrong.

Velleman should update the Chapter 3.