Changing out the bronze bearings to linear bearing

hey. anyone other than me that has been thinking of changing the bronze bearings at the printerhead to linear bearings? or maybe iglidur?

i hear many have rattle noices in their k8400 at the shaft endings and makes adjustable endcovers to get rid of the noice. but i have a noice in the bronze bearing at the printhead.

any toughts about that? is it wise to change?

or should i just get new rods and bronze bearings and hope for the best?

I had quite a lot backlash in the bronze tube bearings. Firstly I replaced the (shorter) top bearing for a bottom bearing, which is longer.
Secondly I replaced the rods. This was because I made my Vertex larger so I had to have longer rods. Fortunately this new rods were slighly thicker than the old ones and so, as a side effect, the bearings fitted precisely around the rods. I don’t have any backlash in the printhead anymore.
The only rattle I still hear is the radial fan on top when the head moves fast in x-direction. I once replaced that one also and that helped a little, but if anyone found a radial fan without the axis backlash, thus silent, I would like to hear…

[quote=“svdv”]I had quite a lot backlash in the bronze tube bearings. Firstly I replaced the (shorter) top bearing for a bottom bearing, which is longer.
Secondly I replaced the rods. This was because I made my Vertex larger so I had to have longer rods. Fortunately this new rods were slighly thicker than the old ones and so, as a side effect, the bearings fitted precisely around the rods. I don’t have any backlash in the printhead anymore.
The only rattle I still hear is the radial fan on top when the head moves fast in x-direction. I once replaced that one also and that helped a little, but if anyone found a radial fan without the axis backlash, thus silent, I would like to hear…[/quote]

well maybe i should try to change the rods to new ones that maybe have higher quality, and change to new original bearings.

i´ve seen your xl build. pretty sweet upgrade, i wanna do that too. but its expensive to get stuff lasercut :confused:

i hear no sound at all from my radial fan. but then again i have tonnes of noices from the bearings. so that may be why i dont hear it.

I’ve got CF53 DIN 1.1213 hardened steel, surface-hardness 60-64, tolerance ISO h6. Also used them for the four carriage rods, but it was hard to get the slightly thicker rods in the sealed bearings. I had to sand the two ends a little bit. I don’t know where you live, but in The Netherlands: thn.nl for the rods. Before you order new rods, maybe it’s wise to try a piece to fit in the bearings.
The lasercut mdf costed me € 55,-- (snijlab.nl). Jakemog22 ordered the original Vertex size panels in mdf also over here from Denmark.

Good luck.

Linear bearing would be good option. I recently purchase Reliabot 350 mm MGN12 Linear Guide Rails and its works best for me. So it linear rail would be good option which i think. You can take help from this blog to chose linear rail for your work.
Joomen SBR25 Support Rails is also good option