Carbon Fiber / Aluminium Rods?

I watched this video and wondered whether it would be possible to replace the two rods holding the print head with carbon fiber or aluminium to reduce the weight of the print head carriage? I have noticed these ripples in prints as well as how much the printer vibrates sometimes, so it might be a good solution!

Thanks!

The rods are not the problem since all Ultimaker clones (K8400) using this setup. In my opinion the construction of the printhead is the problem, the whole printhead weights more than 250g, so if you want to reduce the weight you should start with a redesign of the printhead.

You can find me version here: thingiverse.com/thing:2300112

[quote=“LuckyLuzz”]The rods are not the problem since all Ultimaker clones (K8400) using this setup. In my opinion the construction of the printhead is the problem, the whole printhead weights more than 250g, so if you want to reduce the weight you should start with a redesign of the printhead.

You can find me version here: thingiverse.com/thing:2300112[/quote]
Assuming the rods are made of steel, they weigh about 241g which is about half the total weight! The carbon fiber rods in the video weighed about 35g, so using them would be a weight reduction of 44%. It seems much easier to simply replace the rods than design and build a new hotend, so don’t you think it would be better to try that first?

If you used them as well as your new carriage, you’d’ve cut the weight to one third of its original, which is pretty good!

If it would work I would definetly go for that but I don’t think so. https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/questions/931/carbon-fiber-instead-of-smooth-steel-rods

If you want to upgrade the Vertex, ask youself “Why other printers don’t have that feature?” Helps me every time :slight_smile:

That is indeed a good thing to consider, I’ll keep that in mind. :slight_smile: One thing to remember also is cost and profitability.

I saw that thread actually, but thank you for bringing it up. Our rods are a little shorter than theirs, and as mentioned flex is proportional to the cube of the length so ours should flex a lot less. Using slightly thicker carbon fibre may also help too.

My biggest concern would be wear on the bearings, and I had a look at Velleman’s plastic bearing supplier and they have actually done some tests! Whilst the ones we have will wear by about 5 microns per kilometre of motion on carbon fibre, they sell others which wear by just a quarter of a micron per kilometre. I wonder if these would be sufficient?

I will do a bit more research. Hopefully some others will be able to weigh in as well. I bet there is weight to be saved somehow though, either by using a different metal or otherwise.

[quote=“DanielDC88”]I watched this video and wondered whether it would be possible to replace the two rods holding the print head with carbon fiber or aluminium to reduce the weight of the print head carriage? I have noticed these ripples in prints as well as how much the printer vibrates sometimes, so it might be a good solution!

Thanks![/quote]

Carbon rods?
Done:

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 1570827060
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 1571107067
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 1571267071

[quote=“rafaljot”][quote=“DanielDC88”]I watched this video and wondered whether it would be possible to replace the two rods holding the print head with carbon fiber or aluminium to reduce the weight of the print head carriage? I have noticed these ripples in prints as well as how much the printer vibrates sometimes, so it might be a good solution!

Thanks![/quote]

Carbon rods?
Done:

[img]https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19059173_10206751571107067_8735769283533466243_n.jpg?

oh=0a25b6f2d5db73262d70dcf86bd68261&oe=59E994F0[/img]

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 1570827060
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 1571107067
facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 1571267071[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this! I have a bunch of questions! What parts did you buy, where did you get them and how much did you pay? Have you noticed any change in power consumption or printing quality? How long have you been using this, and have you noticed any wear? Anything else to know?

I have to redesign carret, I made it to loose. Anyway yes, now I can print calibration cube without echo with the same speed as previously.

I bought 1m of carbon rods in Poland it costs $10 and Igus Igidur J barrings 8x16 (quite expensive)
It is hard to find exactly 8mm rods so i reduced barrings diameter in this way