Can't seem to connect

Hi, i just finished assembly and i think i got some sort of connection issue. I’ve been all over the older, similar topics in this forum, but i cant’ find a solution.

I’m using repetier v0,95 with the included drivers from this download: velleman.eu/downloads/files/ … _0_95f.zip

I’ve followed the instructions for the printer settings carefully (I got the right com-port, 250000 Baud and disabled “reset on connect”).

Both the LEDS on the controller board light up when i connect the USB, and i’ve meassured the voltage across the screws on the blue screw connector on the controller board and it reads 15,4 DCV.

But when i click on the “connect” button in Repetier, i do NOT get a message like this in the log:

FIRMWARE_NAME:MarlinV1; Sprinter/grblmashupFIRMWARE_URL:http://www.K8200.eu - velleman.eu PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:K8200 - 3D PRINTER EXTRUDER_COUNT:1

I don’t get any message.

And i can’t do anything with the printer in the “manual control” tab. If i try to move any axis, i just get the “X commands waiting” messages piling up.

What should i try now?

Did you check the device manager? Is there an issue with the USB port or driver?

Hi, thanks for reply. I checked the device manager. I can see the name of the port. I don’t see any exlamation marks to indicate that something is wrong with the port or drivers.

One thing i noticed is that the device gets the same name “COM3” no matter which port i put it in. I tried like 4 on my box and its always the same name. Is this normal?

Have you tried it on a different computer?
What’s you O/S?

I’m on windows 7. I could try it on another computer (windows XP) over the weekend.

If you have another cable try first
Then try XP although 0.95 may not work on XP
You may need to go to 0.90.
This help determine if the problem is the computer or the control board

I’ve now tried it on two different computers, both with windows 7 home edition. I’ve installed and reinstalled the drivers and the right version of repetier. I’ve tried different USB Cables. The Power cable is supplying the right voltage and the LED lights on the controller board are showing a connection.

But i get the same problem. Nothing happens in repetier when i hit connect. No messages in the log and no manual control.

[quote=“Stefan3d”]I’ve now tried it on two different computers, both with windows 7 home edition. I’ve installed and reinstalled the drivers and the right version of repetier. I’ve tried different USB Cables. The Power cable is supplying the right voltage and the LED lights on the controller board are showing a connection.

But i get the same problem. Nothing happens in repetier when i hit connect. No messages in the log and no manual control.[/quote]

Did you try to reset the Printer (press printer reset button) after connecting to repetier?

Maybe that works.

If not, try to connect to the printer with Arduino IDE to upload firmware.
If that works you may need to reduce your baudrate.

Check in the printer settings
Baud rate 250000
Reset on Connect set to Disabled

did you installed the FDTI driver ??

you got to detect it as a Com port on the device manager

[quote=“Wrong Way”]Check in the printer settings
Baud rate 250000
Reset on Connect set to Disabled[/quote]

That’s already done.

http://imgur.com/f2EpAGI,jRB7Bij,rSsEnDF#2

[quote=“xnordz”]did you installed the FDTI driver ??

you got to detect it as a Com port on the device manager[/quote]

Already done.

http://imgur.com/f2EpAGI,jRB7Bij,rSsEnDF#0

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]
Did you try to reset the Printer (press printer reset button) after connecting to repetier?

Maybe that works.[/quote]

Yes, i did try the reset button. Nothing changed with the repetier connection. Here’s a screen of what the connection looks like in repetier btw.

http://imgur.com/f2EpAGI,jRB7Bij,rSsEnDF#1

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]
If not, try to connect to the printer with Arduino IDE to upload firmware.
If that works you may need to reduce your baudrate.[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean here. I tried downloading Arduino IDE and then did a manual driver install for the com port from the arduino “drivers” folder, but i got the message that the best drivers are already installed. I’m on windows 7 and the drivers installed the first time i plugged the USB into the port.

[quote=“Stefan3d”]
I’m on windows 7 and the drivers installed the first time i plugged the USB into the port.[/quote]

So, do you see the com port in device manager?

[quote=“ichbinsnur”][quote=“Stefan3d”]
I’m on windows 7 and the drivers installed the first time i plugged the USB into the port.[/quote]

So, do you see the com port in device manager?[/quote]

Yes, i do. Sorry images failed im trying another host.

http://imgur.com/f2EpAGI,jRB7Bij,rSsEnDF#0

[quote=“Stefan3d”][quote=“ichbinsnur”][quote=“Stefan3d”]

So, do you see the com port in device manager?[/quote]

Yes, i do. Sorry images failed im trying another host.[/quote]

Did you try updating the driver manually (by selecting the correct files by hand, instead of letting windows install them) to the ftdi driver in device manager?

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]
Did you try updating the driver manually (by selecting the correct files by hand, instead of letting windows install them) to the ftdi driver in device manager?[/quote]

I tried selecting the drivers folder in my Arduino IDE installation folder and letting windows pick drivers from there. I got a message that the best drivers were already installed.

don’t use the arduino drivers.

use the drivers from FTDI!

Yes, i’m not using the drivers from arduino since windows preferred the ones i already had installed.

Still not working.

Do you think this could be caused by shortcircuits?

A short is possible.
Is the 5 volt regulator on the board getting hot?
If you unplug all of the motors, heaters, end stops and thermals can you connect?

Yeah the regulator gets really hot. There’s no change when i try to connect with everything unplugged.

I tested the input and output with my multimeter.

Input (black to ground and red to regulator input): 15,4 V

Output (black to ground and red to regulator output): 1,6 V

So it’s putting out way below 5.

Is this the problem then?

From your description it sounds like an internal short on the board.